Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Email Setup issues

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Email Setup issues

Hi Jeff,

Ideally I would recommend using a version of Office that is compatible with your version of Act (or vice versa).  This will give you the best user experience, and altogether makes troubleshooting potential issues down the track easier.

That said, if it is not possible DesignR1 does also have an integration tool:  http://www.designr1.com/shop/outlook-integrater1/

I would probably also recommend checking out http://www.exponenciel.com/ 

I don't think they have an add-on for your Outlook question, but they do offer some very useful Add-ons for enhanced usability of Act!.

But again, and I can't stress this enough, if you can use a compatible combination of Act! and Outlook, do that.  it will be much better for you in the long run.

Cheers

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

Copper Contributor

Thanks Jared,

I can understand the rationale for compatibility but it seems that I'm "drifting" away from Act more and more. Not to have it available on my phone or iPad does limit the time I really use it. Good to have all that info available but it seems like they haven't really kept up with the times. I have problems with upgrading "every" year or so since I use only a small percentage of the Act features.

I'll check out those other options- much appreciated

Jeff

Jeffrey Anshel
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jeffrey is correct.

While Act! Premium provides for Act Premium mobile as a versatile mobile solution, there has been scant attention paid to email client independent recording of Gmail or any other web mail to Act!. Pretty much if you don't use MS Outlook and keep your versions of Act! up to date there are no other practical options. The Gmail integration is haphazard and dependent on consistency in Google modus operandi. Expanding to contact and calendar integration of any form is fraught with problems. Problems brought upon Act! by the technology falling short of the marketing hype, mainly under Sage ownership.  

What is called for is a universal way of reliable email recording irrespective of what email client or what device is used. Act! I'm sure loses long term loyal customers as Jeffrey alludes to, through not keeping Act! current. Users don't want to have to wend their way through combinations of device and email client just to do something really basic - record email against a contact record without the disconnects.Technically it isn't that hard, but the approach to date has been half-hearted.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Super Contributor

@gleo wrote:

Users don't want to have to wend their way through combinations of device and email client just to do something really basic - record email against a contact record without the disconnects.Technically it isn't that hard, but the approach to date has been half-hearted.    

It would be nice if there was a simple way to attach emails, not just from Outlook/Exchange, but Gmail as well.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Graeme- very well said and you state exactly what the problem is. I purchased the 2012 upgrade at the time because they claimed it was "gmail compatible", only to find that I could only synce with my desktop OR my phone- but not both (circular sync doesn't work). Thus, been frustrated ever since.

I've been hoping that Google would expand their Contact list options to integrate more like some of the Act! features but who knows if that is even in the works....

Appreciate the feedback

Jeff

Jeffrey Anshel
Copper Elite Contributor

You raise an excellent point Graeme and I agree with you 100%, it would be great to see more effort put into the email system.
Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

Bronze Elite Contributor

Sync is not the appropriate technology for a modern multi-source, multi-device consumer world. Sync as a process works well under strict conditions, single path situations where unique identities can be identified and preserved by good design. Taking short cuts in sync design and not accomodating dual sync paths, user editing on any device at any time etc. will ultimately produce duplicate data.    

As developers we are testing our own design of email recording for Act!  that should give ease of use, encourage Gmail integration and give consistancy across client and device. We hope to offer a cost effective solution to th market over the next 2 months.   

Graeme Leo

Bronze Super Contributor

Looking forward to it Graeme! Smiley Happy

Copper Contributor

Graeme,

Any progress on your email developement for Act that you referred to? I'd LOVE to be a beta site for you!!!!! I am an avid Gmail user and purchased Act 2012 SPECIFICALLY because they mentioned that it was "compatible" with Gmail. Unfortunately, I didn't read the fine print that showed poor performance if there was another sync to my cell phone (a must-do).

Let me know how it's going!

thanks

Jeff

Jeffrey Anshel
Bronze Elite Contributor

Jeff,

We are currently using it in-house (it will be called Smart Inbox)  and have been fixing a bug or two, so when we do release which will be early February or before it should be well tested. It's not a synch solution and will work with any email client.    

Graeme Leo