Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Email Address Removal

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Email Address Removal

[ Edited ]

Ok, this is not in the manual, but after looking at your post, I tested this method and it worked for me. The idea is to be able mark the contacts whose emails you want to delete so you can do a lookup and then use the Edit/Replace command to clear the email address fields.

Create a lookup field

Create a field that you can use for your lookup. Use a character-type field and call it "Delete Email". Do this from Tools/Define Fields, then "Create new field"

Add field to .csv file

- Save a copy of your Excel file to use for this process. You will be working with this copy

- Add a column to spreadsheet...name the column using the exact same name you used to name the new field in ACT! (i.e., "Delete Email").

- Make the value in this column Yes for all records on the list

- Delete all columns on the spreadsheet except the Email column and the Delete Email column. So you should only have two columns on the sheet now.

- Go to File/Save As, and for the "Save as type", change to CSV (comma deleted).

- Close Excel

Duplicate checking settings in ACT!

- In ACT! go to Tools/Preferences, and under the General tab click the Duplicate Checking button.

- Make the first field the Email field and leave the other two at <None>

- Save your settings

Import

- Make a backup of your ACT! database (File/Backup/Database

- In ACT! go to File/Import

- In the import wizard, change the value of the first box to Text Delimited

- Click the Browse button, make sure the "Files of type" says ".csv", browse to the modified spreadsheet you saved and double-click it. Click Next.

- Choose "Contact Record" and click Next

- On the Import Options screen, leave settings as is and click Next

- On the Predefined Maps screen, leave as is and click Next

- On the Contact Map screen, make sure the two fields in your .csv file match up to the "Email" and "Delete Email" fields in your ACT! database. Click Next.

- On the Merge Options, screen click Contact.

- In the Contact Merge Options screen, select Replace with source contact on the left side and click OK. Click Next.

- Click the Finish button to begin the import

* The goal of this import is the put the value of "Yes" into the Delete Email field of all the contacts on your spreadsheet

Lookup contacts and remove email addresses

- After the import completes, go to Lookup/Other Fields

- Choose the Delete Email field and look for value Equal To(=) Yes. This should give you a list a the contacts to remove the email address from.

- After you have the lookup list, check it over for accuracy. If there are any contacts who should not be on the list, highlight them and click Omit Selected.

- After you have verified the lookup, go to Edit/Replace Field

- Choose the Email field for "Replace contents of" and leave the Value blank. Click OK.

- This will remove the values in the Email field for those contacts that you just looked up

I know this is a long set of instructions, but it really should not take that long. I did it with a 1,000 contacts in about 10 minutes. Please try this process and post your results in this thread.

Message Edited by ghollister on 11-19-2009 12:07 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Highlighted

Hi Greig. I too am trying to accomplish the same goal. I have followed your steps exactly, and I'm coming back with a problem. This process is working as defined, except it is also overwriting the existing contact information. Such as Company and Phone and address.

Here is the larger problem. I have an extensive database of contacts linked to their respective companies. These companies are then grouped into applicable groups. When I send an email blast I usually just select the group I wish to target, which usually contains hundreds of contacts. I have created a spreadsheet containing a list of emails that were bounced back during my last campaign. I wish to remove these contacts from the future mailings without removing them from the database or removing them from their respective companies as I have a need for their historical data. So I figured removing the email address would be an easy way to do this.

When I ran your process, it works fine for inserting the "Yes" into the delete email field but it changed lots of other fields at the same time. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

Adam 

Highlighted

If you are using "Replace with source contact", then data from all fields you mapped during the import will be replaced by the data in the .csv file. You can avoid this by removing all fields (columns) from the .csv file except the fields you are using for duplicate checking and the "delete" field (yes/no field). So if you are using the phone, company and contact fields for duplicate checking, you would delete all columns from the .csv file except the Contact, Company, Phone, and "Delete" fields.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Highlighted

Thanks, I am only using the email address for duplicate checking, and there are only 2 columns in my CSV, which are "E-mail" and "Delete Email". Any suggestions?

FYI, I am running ACT! Premium 2009, if it matters.

Highlighted

What fields are you using for duplicate checking? What other fields are getting the data replaced during the import?

Greig Hollister

Highlighted

I am only using the email address for duplicate checking.

There are only 2 columns in my CSV ("e-mail" and "delete email") These are the only field mapped during the import process.

After the import is complete everything is gone except for the data I imported (email address and delete email)

Below is a copy/paste of the before & after

BEFORE

Andrew Conte

Director Information Technology & Security Officer

HBO

(212) 512-1880

(212) 512-7673

1100 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10036-6737

USA

andrew.conte@hbo.com

AFTER

Andrew Conte

andrew.conte@hbo.com

Historical data such as opportunities and activities are still intact, so it appears that it is finding the matching contact correctly but making far to many changes.

Thoughts? 

Highlighted

Furthermore, it even shows the change of the "delete email" field in the history of the contact as follows:

2/19/2010 11:24 AM 0 minutes Field Changed Field changed Field Delete Email changed from "" to "Yes" 

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Adam,

I hope I am wrong but what I think you are trying to accomplish is what we call an "update merge".  This is when a duplicate is found, change 1 or several predefined fields and leave the rest of the record alone.

Flat out we have had to use 3rd party add-ons to do this.  We have used MergeAdmin and I think OakMerge does it too.  Forgive me if I am politically incorrect or just plain dense but we have not been able to get the ACT import routine to behave in such a way as to perform an "update merge".  We have succeeded with add-ons.

John Tytus
Prescience, LLC
Cincinnati, OH
www.iprescience.com