Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Eliminate the logon popup at start of ACT 2009

Tuned Listener

Eliminate the logon popup at start of ACT 2009

I set up a networked ACT configuration.  I originally assigned passwords to the users.  However, we have decided to eliminate the passwords and the logon screen.  But after I removed the passwords, we still get the logon screen, which we also want to eliminate.  How do I do that?

I know that it is somehow tied to the database.  I have a separate ACT database without a logon.  When I logon my own remoted database (different server), it does not show the logon screen.  Yet, when I open the other database, it still shows the logon screen.

Tom

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource
Binary Star Technology, Inc
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Eliminate the logon popup at start of ACT 2009

When the database you are opening has a single active user without a password, the login dialog is bypassed. Otherwise, the login dialog will come up. That can't be changed.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

At this point, I have four users.  I have reset all the passwords to be blank, and the passwords are set to never expire.  So no passwords exist, at least as I would define it.  So why would it require the logon screen.  This occurs both at the ACT running on the server and the local laptop. By your definition, I should no longer be getting the logon screen.

So the real question is - once you have a password enabled, are you ever able to eliminate the logon screen? 

If I create a new database and import the data from the problem database, will the problem move to the new database?

Tom

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource
Platinum Elite Contributor

You missed the point. The user name is required to login when there is more than one active user in the database. If it is a single user database setting the password to blank cause the login dialog to be bypassed but you are talking about a multi-user database and there will always be a login required.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Don't I look and appear stupid.  Actually the database not showing the logon screen was a multi-user database, but I have since de-activated the other users.  So my guess then is that once the number of active users goes to more than 1, the logon screen occurs.

And as you note, once there is more than one user, ACT needs to know who the user is.  I would argue (unsuccessfully it appears) that the "remember password" box being checked should cause the logon to occur automatically.  But at least now I understand why I can't do what I would like to do.

Thanks for your patience.  The transition from Act 6 to Act 2009 (11) has its learning curve for me.  But I do like most of the changes in ACT compared to one of the first versions to try to use MSDE.  So far ACT has been very reliable.

Tom

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource