Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Editing letter templates

Editing letter templates

I want to edit the letter template so that when i do the mail merge instead of using the <business address> field i would like it to use the Home address. Is this possible?

Re: Editing letter templates

[ Edited ]
It should be possible.

After you've selected Write | Edit Template... from the menu, then you can simply change the fields you want.

For example, <Address 1> can be swapped to <Home address 1> etc.

Hope that helps.

-areacode514

Message Edited by areacode514 on 02-27-2008 09:52 AM

Okay i must be missunderstanding you. When i open the letter to edit it has the following fields as teh address lines

<Business Line 1>

<Business Line 2>

<Business City>, <Business State> <Business Postal Code>

Now, i tried renaming the top field to <Home Address Line 1> and a few variations of this but none of them worked.

I then right clicked on the file and did an 'edit field' and when presented with that dialog box there was a space called 'field properties', this contained:

[ACTFIELD]TBL_CONTACT.BUSINESS_LINE1

Now i think i need to change this to point in the direction of the home address so it can pull the data but i have tried a couple of different variations and i cant get it to work. It gives me an error:

Error! No document variable supplied.

Does anyone know what i need to use in this situation?

Hi again,

Sorry, my explanation above was written from a different machine, which has Word 2003 installed.

Now, I am writing from my machine (using Act! 10.0, with Word 2007).

Here are the steps I followed, which I hope you can reproduce on your system:

1. In Act!, I select "Write" | "Edit Template...", and choose one of the pre-existing templates (i.e. "01 Initial Communication - Direct marketing Letter.adt" ).
  2. This opens the template in Word. Automatically, a dialog box also opens in Word called "Add Mail Merge Fields".
  3. I then put my cursor on an empty line in the Word document (the Add Mail Merge Fields (AMMF) dialog box stays displayed).
  4. In the AMMF dialog, I click on "Home Address 1", and then click on the "Add" button.
  5. In the Word document, I see <Home Address 1> has been added.
  6. (After I've added all the fields I want, I then simply delete the old fields I won't be needing.)

So I hope you have a way for the AMMF dialog box to pop up, as this will eliminate you having to right-click and edit the fields themselves.

Hi,
Thanks for the explanation. That is exactly what i need. Problem is when i follow the instructions i don't get that ammf dialog box!

If possible can you right click on the Home address field for me, select edit field, then under field properties > New name: Can you paste what ever is in this box.

Or tell me how i get this ammf thing to open up. I have done some google work to no avail.

Thanks again

Hi again,

Unfortunately, I am presently on my other machine (the one with Word 2003) so I won't be able to try out if there is a manual way to pop up the AMMF dialog in Word 2007.

However, perhaps the following link can help:
How to Create and Edit ACT! Mail Merge and Letter Templates

I hope something in there will be useful to you.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Regards,
areacode514
Copper Contributor

The date which shows at the top left corner of my letters reads "Thursday, June 05, 2008" for example. I would like this to come up like "June 5, 2008" without the day name. I looked all over but can't find a way to tweak that. Any help?
Platinum Elite Contributor

The format of the field is done through Word.  You will need to right-click on it, choose Edit Field and change the date format accordingly.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I am using ACT! word processor. When i right click on the date there is no "Edit Field" choice. I first tried to use the MS Word 2007 as my word processor but i find that when I alter a document I can't save it as a template. The old ACT didn't have these problems.
Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACT! word processor uses the Windows regional settings for the date format. That is where you need to change the format, not in ACT!.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129