Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Editing label & envelope templates - problems with fields not collapsing when blank

Editing label & envelope templates - problems with fields not collapsing when blank

When trying to edit label and envelope templates or create new ones in ACT 10 (2008), there are difficulties in forcing blank fields to collapse as they should within an address.

If you have (say) two different addresses to be printed on an envelope, set out in two separate address "blocks", one can set the field attributes of the address fields to "collapse if blank" but how do the subsequent non-blank fields know how to move to the right place over the blank field?

Presumably there must be some sort of mechanism by which the particular address block is delimited so that the fields within this block move up to cover the blank fields. If this is correct does anyone know how to delimit a particular address block?

In any event, an existing standard template that does work properly (i.e. the fields fill the space properly) before editing, soon ceases to function properly when additional fields are added (even though their field attributes are set to "Collapse if blank".

I wondered whether the placement of a Custom field at the beginning (i.e. the top) and at the end (i.e. the bottom) of an address block may act as delimiters but it is not clear to me how.

I could not find any emntion of this problem on the ACT knowledge base.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Editing label & envelope templates - problems with fields not collapsing when blank

Collapse if blank is the only parameter needed but the collapsing field dare not overlap any other field or it will not collapse.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129