Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Editing decimal field

Copper Contributor

Editing decimal field

Hello,

I am trying to update a decimal field in Act. from 4 to 5 positions left of the decimal separator. Act seems to respond when I update the field but when I check my change the field has not been updated.

The field is used by the automatic field calculations add-on ( v12.0..0.4). Does this add-on prevent me from updating the field? And if so, why is there no warning that the field can not be edited?

I am using Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0, Update 5 on a windows 7 machine

Administrator

Re: Editing decimal field

Hi maris,

Once you've made the change from 4 to 5 places to the right of the decimal separator, and have saved the change to the field, does the field still not allow you to save more than 4 characters before the decimal separator?

This behaviour may be being affected by the add on. Could you try disabling it and see if it makes any difference to saving and observing the change?
Copper Contributor

Dear Gary,

The field does not allow me do enter 5 digits before the separator after I have changed the field.

Disabling add-ons does not help either

Could this have something to do with the fact that 2 users are using this database? At resnet the other user has closed Act so he is not using the database. Also I can delete existing fields without a problem

Administrator

Hi Maris,

When you say it doesn't allow you to enter 5 digits, are you physically limited from entering more than 4 digits? In other words, if you try to enter more, do you see the 5th character, but are given prompt and see the red exclamation circle icon next to the field when you try to save the changed record, or does the 5th digit not appear in the field at all?
Copper Contributor

I can type more than 4 digits but as soon as I move to another contact for instance the error pops up. see attached screenshots

Administrator

Hi maris,

Thanks for clarifying this.

Are you able to create a new custom decimal field for testing? Try setting this to the same decimal options as the affected field, then changing it to the desired options. Does the change apply correctly?
If not, are any other databases also experiencing the problem?
Copper Contributor

yes I can. I can manipulate this field as much as I want to.

I am only using one database but I tried other already existing decimal fields and none can be updated. There are several character fields I can update however.

Administrator

Hi maris,

So to confirm, you can change the options of a new custom decimal field, but not for any of the existing custom decimal fields?

If you have a support contract or subscription, I would suggest giving our support team a call. They would be able to work with you on troubleshooting the issue with the existing fields in more detail on your actual database.

Alternatively, you could work around the issue by creating new custom decimal fields to replace the existing fields, then copy the data into the new fields and remove the old ones.
Copper Contributor

I did the work around because we do not have a support contract. It is still strange that you are not able to edit the field but you are able to delete it