Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ERROR: This contact no longer exists in the database

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

ERROR: This contact no longer exists in the database

Please help!  I get this error "This contact no longer exists in the database" when I attempt to click on save after entering a new contact. I get this error when trying to add a secondary contact to an existing contact: "Error saving a contact".

My version of ACT:  ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 4.  I have a server copy hosted at Godaddy.com. We have been syncing to it and running without any problems for over a year.

• I resently added about 300 new custom fields so I think it has something to do with that. 
  • I can import from another ACT DB into my sales DB with no problem. I do 6 of those a day.
  • I have done actdiag and rebuilt everything. No change.
  • I don't have this problem in any other DB but this one.
  • I was told that if I had any primary fields as yes/no fields that might be the problem. Nope, don't have any of those.
  • I created a copy of the DB, but empty. Same problem exists.  So, I assume it's not the data?
  • The problem occurs on multiple computers, including the server.

Please help if you can!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ERROR: This contact no longer exists in the database

I just now went in and created a new contact. Then, clicked over to a tab with new custom fields.  There it was! 

I used a third party excel program to create the new fields. It appears I entered “ReadOnly” into the column labeled "default".  I thought I was setting the security default to "Read Only". 

I just did a new contact and went to the new custom fields. I have several length 3 fields that have “ReadOnly” in them! I’m such an idiot!  Sorry for bothering you!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello tbudde,

This error can also occur if the length default value for any field exceeds the defined field length. Both if these settings are in the "Customize Field Behavior" screen when you edit or create a field. Example: the default value for a field is "Prospect" (8 characters) and the field length is set to 7. See KB article 13730 for more details.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks!

I'll start looking at them tonight. Is there anyway to get some kind of report out of ACT that would list the names of my custom fields and the settings for each value?  Or, do I need to go into each individual field definition?  It's all in SQL, right?  So, isn't there a way to get that kind of a report?

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

I just now went in and created a new contact. Then, clicked over to a tab with new custom fields.  There it was! 

I used a third party excel program to create the new fields. It appears I entered “ReadOnly” into the column labeled "default".  I thought I was setting the security default to "Read Only". 

I just did a new contact and went to the new custom fields. I have several length 3 fields that have “ReadOnly” in them! I’m such an idiot!  Sorry for bothering you!
Platinum Super Contributor

In the Actdiag program, you can right click on your database name > go to Database Structure > select Field List to CSV File.  This report will contain columns for both the Default Value and the Field Length (Length).  You can compare these 2 columns.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Sweet!  Thanks!

May I please join this post? I recently converted an old database to ACT2010 and received this message when simply adding a normal address: This contact no longer exists in the database.

The link you sent the person who asked the original same query is non-sensical to me, or could you please explain what this bit means?

3. Double-click the field that is has more characters in the Default Value than the field length allows. The Define Fields - Enter field name and type dialog box appears.

I have been adding data for teh last few days with no problems and have done nothing different this time. Why do things have to be so complicated?!

Any help appreciated. Tks GL.

Copper Elite Contributor

My problem occurred because I imported data and because I imported it, it accepted the data even though the field I imported into allowed fewer characters than the number of characters I imported. That is what caused the corruption. Did you recently change (shorten) the length of any of your fields?  Did you import any data or key enter only?

Tks for answering. No I didn't change any of teh settings, but have just this minute done a repair job, rebooed and it seems to be working OK now, touchwood Smiley Wink Tks for your help though. GL

Hi,

A few weeks down the line and I am getting the same error message in ACT!10. It seems it has nothing to do with teh number of characters in any fields as I have experimented with short an long entries and always get the same message. Any help appreciated. (Maybe I should say that I upgraded and imported most of my data from ACT2006 earlier this year. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when and why this issue occurrs.

GL