04-05-2011 03:12 AM
04-05-2011 05:43 AM
Thanks Greg. Yes I have done that a few times in recent months but the problem has always returned within days. Have just done again and it is now working, but it can't be right that I have to do that every few weeks, surely? Thanks anaywqay.
best / GL
04-07-2011 09:09 AM
Greg, this is not working for my customer. We did the maintenance and it is happening on the phone field. Can you help? Thanks, Brenda
04-07-2011 09:15 AM
Thanks for coming in here Brenda.
Just one day after my last post I already have the problem again, and this time I haven't even entered data in to teh phone field. VERY frustrating. Any tips to avoid this much appreciated!
Best / GL
04-08-2011 11:40 AM
This issue is generally database specific, but I recommend starting with the basics and working forward with troubleshooting:
- test in demo database (to ensure that it is db specific)
- in original database > test using different layout > use original default layout (Basic Contact Layout) - if it has been modified, you can copy the original version from the Demo database files/layouts folder.
- run maintenance through both the Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair and the ACTdiag utility (KB Article 19642) > test
- create a backup and perform 'Restore As' to recreate the database under a new name > test the new database (if issue corrected, use this as main database)
- create an 'Empty Copy' of the database (File > Save Copy As) > test. If it does not have the issue, continue with steps to import original database into the Empty Copy > test new db. If problem is now present, then the issue lies in the data itself.
How to import from database to database: KB Article 17539
04-20-2011 04:36 AM
As I kept getting teh same message when trying to input a phone number in to a new contact (all other fields were OK) I changed the Basic Contact Layout from 1024x768 to 800 x 600 and it worked fine. I changed the layout back and did it again and it worked fine this time. Any idea why? I have a business to run and can't waste time playing arouznd with ACT. Can you recommend a quick fix please to avoid this problem in future?
Tks / G
04-20-2011 05:31 AM
I very gla to hear you've got it working again, unfortunately I don't have a specific reason for this happening. Since it is working after changing the layout, that would make me think of the ACT! Preference files being damaged. The most common cause of damaged Preference files is the monitor's DPI settings, ACT! only supports the default settings. Here is an article with steps to check your DPI setting: KB Article 26349
04-22-2011 04:52 AM
Slowly going mad here. Just had to start a brand new database and the first entry threw up the same error message! I changed layout and this time the same happened. It's impossible to work on this basis. Never had this problem with ACT8 or earlier versions. Can what you call the damaged Preference Files be repaired? I have checked the link you sent and my monitor's DPI settings were already set to default.