Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ERROR: The SQL Database instance is unavailable issue--other fixes did not work

ERROR: The SQL Database instance is unavailable issue--other fixes did not work

Hello,

I am attempting to reinstall a copy of Act Pro 2012 on a computer recovering from a hard drive failure. I've installed the Act Pro software, registered it, and was able to move the full directory of DB files over from the old hard drive before removing it from the machine.

I copied it to the local machine, and attempted to open the DB using File > Open/Share Database...

I find the Open/Share Database Dialog screen, and my database isn't pictured there. I click the link "The database I want is not listed" at the bottom, and browse for the PAD file that I moved to the local machine. I select it, and after about 20 seconds, I get the error.

I did go to services.msc and attempt to restart the SQL Browser and the ACT7 instance of SQL server. This did not help. THis is not a shared DB, so at this point, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ERROR: The SQL Database instance is unavailable issue--other fixes did not work

Hello Jakelydey,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Something about the computer may have changed with the recovery (ex: computer name, Windows user name, file path...).    Rename or delete the original PAD file, then when opening the database, change the 'Files of Type' to ADF; select the ADF file for your database and open.  It will create a new PAD file.

Greg Martin
Sage