Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

EDIT QUOTE TEMPLATE FOR EXCEL INSIDE OF IT

EDIT QUOTE TEMPLATE FOR EXCEL INSIDE OF IT

I have learned how to edit all of the template for the quote.adt except I cannot seem to access the excel file within it until after I hit the "create quote" button.  I want to be able to edit the excel on the Quote template permanently.

Also, is there a way you can create a work order template and have all the information go from the opportunity page to that work order (very similar to Create Quote option but i have to add more fields for internal use.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: EDIT QUOTE TEMPLATE FOR EXCEL INSIDE OF IT

Hello Diversified,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Please see the following Knowledgebase article on how to create and modify quote templates:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Contributor

I read the following in the knowledge base ...

There are two separate files that create a quote template.

•  Quote.adt - contains the mail merge fields and the embedded Excel Quote.xlt table.

•  Quote.xlt - Microsoft Excel template that contains a pre-constructed table that is embedded in the Quote.adt file. Product information is inserted into this table when a quote is created.

Note: Removing (or adding) rows and/or columns from the table in this template is neither recommended nor supported.

My question is what concerns should we have regarding modifying the Excel spreadsheet.  Frequently, because the product descriptions are long and wrap, the quote extends to 2 pages.  I would like to take 3 or 4 lines out of the Excel template allowing for this.  What affect would that have on the template?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Silver Super Contributor

You would probably break it.  The way that I've seen it work in the past is to make the main sheet invisible and reference the sheet from a different sheet.  Then you can make it look exactly the way you want it to and ACT! is happy because all of the fields it needs are exactly where they need to be.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Wellmet, can you provide a bit more detail on what you mean by "make the main sheet invisible and reference the sheet from a different sheet? I tried to "Hide" the sheet.

Also, when this is then saved, how do I get this to show in the Quote.adt body?

As much detail as you can provide. I am new to this.

Astute Commentator

I have lost the ability to populate the items in the quote.adt file (word).  I edited the excel.xlt (excel)  file and now I can not seem to get it back.

I need to know how to make the excel document populated the data from the opportunity or start with a new quote.xlt file?  I am not sure the order of operation here but when I paste the excel table into the word quote it populates nothing from the opportunity in ACT.

My mistake for editing the quote.xlt file but now I need to solve this.

Kim

1. ? Act! Pro Version 19.2.146.0, Update 3
  2.  Windows 10 Pro, Intel R Core, 64bit
  3.  Microsoft 365

HELP please!

Hi Kim,

The quote template can be quite temperamental and is recommended to take a backup of it before editing it (Copy + Paste a copy)

If a copy was not taken you can usually copy the file from another database and move it to your database files (I would recommend taking a copy of your Quote.xlt. 

I have attached a copy of the default Quote.xlt file that you can use.

KB 13960 - How to Create and Modify Quotes in Act!

Astute Commentator

Horn, thank you for your help.  Yes sir I did pull another copy from an old data base and saved it to the templates in current data base.  However, it did not populate the line items into the table in the quote.  That is why I thought a fresh copy would help.  But, I saved the xlt file you provided and saved it and copy & pasted into the word format.  it again did not populate the items.  It is utilizing the form you gave me because it shows blue top line so that is confirmed.  Just not populating the items from the opportunity.  Any other reason it is not populating items from the OPEN opportunity?

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you again.

Kim

Bronze Elite Contributor

After 25 years experience with ACT the Quote Template is still an area that I treat with caution as even after getting anything other than Minor changes it gives unexpected results.

I recommend using a very good add-on that allows far more flexibility and is robust and you can try before you buy-

http://www.exponenciel.com/actaddons/actaddon.aspx?ID=92

Astute Commentator

Thanks. Yes I saw that recommended when searching for a solution myself. Would uninstalling ACT and reinstalling ACT provide the original templates and replace what is currently there?