Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

E-mails Going To Deleted/Blank E-mail Addresses

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

E-mails Going To Deleted/Blank E-mail Addresses

I have a serious situation that is causing me a lot of problems in ACT 2009 Ver 11.  Recently I did a number of e-mail merges and just noticed e-mails actually went to clients whose e-mail addresses have been deleted for a year or two. That is, (1) their e-mail address fields were blank but ACT still sent an e-mail to them using their old deleted non-existant email addresses and posted the e-mails' subject lines in History.  Or (2) ACT sent an email to the correct Contact Name but used the former Contact Name's deleted non-existant email address.  What I am saying is a have a number of old Contacts whose names and e-mail addresses have been long deleted now receiving e-mails intended for the new Contacts who replaced them with the new Contacts' names.  I hope I am making sense as this is really a problem as I no longer trust the e-mail program.  And I have run Database Maintenance, Check and Repair and still have the problem.  I converted to ACT 11 about three months ago from ACT 6 if this helps.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author DanSir
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: E-mails Going To Deleted/Blank E-mail Addresses

I suspect that the email addresses were not fully purged out of the ACT! 6 database before conversion and the conversion reattached the addresses to the database. It's possible that importing the data into an empty copy of the database would resolve the problem. Also check Tools | Define Fields for email fields that aren't included in any layout.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author DanSir
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

I suspect that the email addresses were not fully purged out of the ACT! 6 database before conversion and the conversion reattached the addresses to the database. It's possible that importing the data into an empty copy of the database would resolve the problem. Also check Tools | Define Fields for email fields that aren't included in any layout.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Roy, thanks, that was indeed the case.  I added the E-mail 2 field to my ACT 11 Contact layout and presto!  281 second emails appeared for 4,000 contacts.  So I just went ahead and deleted all of these second e-mails as I don't really need them. Whew, this glitch could have been ugly!