Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

E-Mail Button and Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Bronze Contributor

E-Mail Button and Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I've been having this problem for quite a while and have put off asking for additional help until I re-installed ACT.

I get the above error when clicking on the Red eMail button on the top row in either contact details or in opportunities.  

This weekend I uninstalled and reinstalled ACT.  

The problem continues.

I looked in the Swiftpage KB and found a list of options, but none that addressed sending eMail (albeit, I did find one addressing mail merge).  Since a variety of KB answers were offered, I didn't want to just try one and see what happens.

I really like that button, especially when in Opportunities and want to send an eMail to all people assigned to the opportunity.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Re: E-Mail Button and Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hi John,

It is only the big email button which appears to be affected? when clicking on an email directly or going to 'Write > Email message' do you get the same error appear?

I would also like to know if you have any service packs/updates install for Act v18?

Can you also check to ensure Act and Outlook are both running on the same permissions, if you have them on your desktop you can Right Click on the icon > Run as Administrator. if this works when ran as admin you can check from their properties on the icon again Right Click > Properties > Compatibility > ensure Run as Admin unticked or ticked on both.

Bronze Contributor

Yes, it is only the big button.  

For individual eMails, I have been clicking on the hyperlinked eMail address in the contact detail and do not get any error.

In the opportunities view, I like the big icon because it fills in the opportunity reference - just a number of extra clicks skipped.

I do run Act as admin and was running Outlook not as admin.  I've since changed that and the same problem continues.

Checking on compatibility mode - in ACT it is compatible to Windows 8.  Note that I am using Windows 10 Professional.

Checking on compatibility mode - in Outlook 2016 (Office 365/32 bit) there is no option for compatibility.

Thanks for jumping in - just wish that was the answer.

John Purdy
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

I've not seen it when the big button fails but clicking on the email field works ... Just in case, you might try:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38196

But first, try turning off the Compatibility setting in Act! and the Admin in both ... Why were you running Act! as Admin and Win8?

Also, check you have the latest hotfix for v18

[ Edited ]

I agree with Mike that turning Admin and compatibility settings off may give us some hint, I do know the big button email works on slightly differently to the other ways of sending emails. and would explain why it is singled out.

If you continue to get an error message after could you first try with Outlook closed to see if the button will start Outlook itself.

Also check 'Event Viewer (Eventvwr.msc) > Windows Logs > Application' for more information regarding the error/s.

Bronze Contributor

Thanks both of you.

I'll be checking this out over the weekend.

John Purdy
Employee

Besides making sure you have the Act 18 patches to handle Office 365
In the C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows  look for a file named adal.dll.
If you still have it change the extension part of .dll to .old.  --> adal.old

Also, are the 6 Act! icons in the Addins ribbon of outlook?