Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dynamic link ACT to Access database

Dynamic link ACT to Access database

I wanted to dynamically link an Access database to ACT 2005 database. How can this be done?

Thanks!

Re: Dynamic link ACT to Access database

I have been looking for this and contacted Act tech support with no resolve.

It appears you need Act Premium 11 to link to from Access to Act.

I am still looking and hope to find a simple way to read the contacts data as I use to in version 6.

Ed

Employee

I wish I had a better answer, but I for the life of me can't remember which version the original OLE Reporting provider was introduced.

KB 21988 describes how to create an OLEDB connection, if the 1.0 reporting provider is available in your version you should be able to find it in the list of available data sources.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

I dont believe OLE DB is and Access item. Thats an excel item and is rude at best.

What we need is a reader like the premium version to access the data by linking direct from Access to the act.db file (act.pad)

Employee

[ Edited ]

OLEDB/ODBC connections can most defintely be made in Access.

The link I'll include at the bottom is a link to a PDF document that goes into more detail regarding the various data access methods to Act and the advantages/disadvantages of using each.

http://download.act.com/2011/wp/Reporting_and_Data_Access_Methods.pdf

@Edit: while reading through this document again I see that the 1.0 provider was available in 2005

OLE DB Reporting Provider
The Sage ACT! OLE DB Reporting Provider is a data source provider written by Sage and is included with Sage ACT! Pro and Sage ACT! Premium (includes access via Windows ® and web). The Provider is designed to leverage the underlying client-server platform and the power of the Microsoft® SQL Server® relational database engine which services the Sage ACT! database. The Provider is the desired method for querying the Sage ACT! database both from within the application, as well as externally. There are two OLE DB Providers offered by Sage ACT!, referred to as version 1.0 and 2.0.

Background and Specification:

The version 1.0 Provider was created with the original development of ACT! by Sage 2005 (7.0)....

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Thanks, Looks like it will work. I was told by tech that you could not connect to the act file from access.

This is a little tricky but if setup right you can access the tables,

You need to qry each table individually and the combine them to get the data related right to see an entire contact and its related fields like phones and emails.

Thanks again

Ed