Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dynamic group membership newbie question

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Dynamic group membership newbie question

Hi all

I am new to ACT! and have just started using ACT! Pro 2012 and have, what I hope is a simple question.

I am trying to create a membership database for a sport club and in this I am going to create groups for each age group.

What I was hoping, is for each group to be automatically filled with members based on their date of birth at a certain date (31-August) and season.

For example if they are 14 at the 31-August-2011 (2011-12 season) they will appear in Under 15 Group and for 31-August-2012 (2012-13 season) they will be in Under 16 Group.

With this I can then try and design reports for 2011-12 season with members in their relevant age group, if I then change to 2012-13 season they appear in the next age group.

Firstly can this be done? If so how easy is it to implement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

NIck

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author NickWeth
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Dynamic group membership newbie question

Hello NickWeth,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Members may have other ideas to accomplish your request, but I can think of 2 ways to accomplish this:

Based on Date of Birth:

1. Create a Group for each age group, use Dynamic criteria with the birthdate field having both the 'On and After' and 'On and Before' operators, then enter the appropriate start end dates.  An example

Line 1: Birthdate - On or After - 7/31/1998 - And

Line 2: Birthdate - On or Before - 7/31/1999

This Group would contain all contacts with Birthdate between the specified dates.

Note: Using this example, you would need to update the date range on an annual basis.

Based on current age:

2. Use an add-on to calculate the age into a new field (ex: 7/31/1998 = 14), then base your Group Dynamic membership off of that number.  One such add-on is 'Automatic Field Calculations', but there may be others more suitable to your situation.  Here is a link to our Sage ACT! Add-ons, and a link directly to 'Automatic Field Calculations'.

Note: Using this method - a player that falls into the catagory on day 1, may fall out of it on day 2 (should their birthday occur) and would no longer be displayed in the correct Group. 

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author NickWeth
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello NickWeth,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Members may have other ideas to accomplish your request, but I can think of 2 ways to accomplish this:

Based on Date of Birth:

1. Create a Group for each age group, use Dynamic criteria with the birthdate field having both the 'On and After' and 'On and Before' operators, then enter the appropriate start end dates.  An example

Line 1: Birthdate - On or After - 7/31/1998 - And

Line 2: Birthdate - On or Before - 7/31/1999

This Group would contain all contacts with Birthdate between the specified dates.

Note: Using this example, you would need to update the date range on an annual basis.

Based on current age:

2. Use an add-on to calculate the age into a new field (ex: 7/31/1998 = 14), then base your Group Dynamic membership off of that number.  One such add-on is 'Automatic Field Calculations', but there may be others more suitable to your situation.  Here is a link to our Sage ACT! Add-ons, and a link directly to 'Automatic Field Calculations'.

Note: Using this method - a player that falls into the catagory on day 1, may fall out of it on day 2 (should their birthday occur) and would no longer be displayed in the correct Group. 

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg

Thank you fro looking at this for me and for explaining what the options are.

I have decided to use your first suggestion and at the moment it appears to be working, just need to remember to change the criteria next year.

Thanks again.
Nick