Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dynamic group for groups

Dynamic group for groups

Hi to you all

I need to create a sub group that will move on a specific date.

That doesn't seem to clear, does it?

I am a teacher trainer ans I have been using Act to manage my contacts happily for quit some time.

I have two main groups (Active sessions and Closed sessions)

I creat a new group for each planned session and add the contacts to these groups

This new group is a sub group of the Activ group

Is it possible in some way that that group would move as a sub group to the Closed sessions dynamically

when the date is passed?

Has anyone got an idea?

So far I have done this manually, but I am not always reliable and forget to do it ;-))

Any help or push in the right direction would be appreciated

Thank you

Bronze Contributor

Re: Dynamic group for groups

Hello Thompson and welcome to the Act Community.

If I understand correctly the contacts you are wanting to organize fall into two groups:

Group 1 - those who are in the current training session Group 2 - those who were in group 1 and are now in group 2 based on a date, and at that date there is no group 1.  Group 2 includes all completed training session members.

First, remember that groups are not relational but flat files.  So, in reality there is no group or sub-group relationship.  Having said that, I think use of dynamic groups is valid.  I am assuming that you have additional contacts that have not or would not be part of a training session - just other contacts.

If you are not using the ID/Status field, that's where I would start.  Create an ID something like "Training Customer" or some other unique way to describe one who participates in an active session.  If you are using the ID/Status, then either use one of the user fields or create a field.  Based on what I think you want, I would create a yes/no field.  Checking the field would indicate the contact is involved either in an active session or has completed a session.  You also need to create a date field to show when they joined the active session. 

Now create two dynamic groups searching on the ID/Status or other field AND date of on or after the date that describes the current active session.  Do the same thing for the closed sessions, since that is date and create a dynamic group using the ID/Status or other field and the date of on or before.

Because the rules for these dynamic groups are fluid, you will have to adjust the search dates from time to time.

I am not an engineer, so others may chime in with a more creative way to solve your question.  But at least this may give you some ideas.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Re: Dynamic group for groups

Hi John and thank you for the reply

And yes, I do agree with your way of going through the IDstatus or extra fields

BUT

I didn’t want to make my message to complicated to understand, so I limited the groups

In reality I have some 3.500 contacts (and growing all the time, business is good)

And I have (for the time being) eight different trainings that I give at various locations

And some of the ''students'' follow the same training at various locations

Some follow different trainings at various locations

Some follow some sessions at the same location

Working with extra fields for each training would make my sheet to complicated

Working with groups, I can easily after a couple of years select that group add a note to all those contacts and delete the group easily

I have noticed that deleting fields sometimes doesn’t always work smoothly

The way I handle it for now is as follows

At each session the attendants fill in the appreciation form which is added to their contact sheet

I have two main groups (ongoing trainings at closed trainings)

Each of these groups has eight subgroups (the locations)

And each of these subgroups have subsubgroups (the dates the training are given)

And when a training is done, and all the appreciation sheets are added to the contact

I manually move that subsubgroup from the subgroup (location) to the subgroup (location) in the other main group

And, of course, working with groups in Act makes it so easy to create reports, statistics, etc

I have a feeling that apart going via and add-on and creating a macro, there is no way I can achieve it

But then again, even if this is my first question to the group, I have been following you guys for a long time

I started using Act in the late 90s (Act3 I think) and no matter what some people say

I think the development team are doing a great job

And I am always amazed but the quality and the ingenuity of some of you ;-)))

Thanks again for the tips

Rex Thompson