Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicate entrys

Duplicate entrys

I am using Act in car sales. I was wondering if you consolidate duplicate entries will you loose any data such as sales dates if the customer bought cars in different years?  I want to consolidate and keep the purchase dates from all years for each contact.
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Duplicate entrys

When using the Tools:Copy/Move Contact Data feature, you are able to map data from one record to the other, choosing which data to retain. When you have Fields in each record that both contain data, one will overwrite the other. Notes and History are merged using the date/time stamp, so no data would be lost (well it is possible that the date/time stamp could be the same, but highly unlikely).
Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au

Re: Duplicate entry's

Thank you for the reply. I am still a little fuzzy. Example: I have John Smith who bought a car in 2001. The information on file gives name, address, phone, type of car, VIN number, and date of sale. John bought a new car in 2006 all the information was entered for the sale. I now have 2 entry's with John Smith and the only data that is different in each entry is the car info and date of sale. If I consolidate both entries into one, will it maintain the 2 different cars and information pertaining to each car in one file under John Smith? I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Larry

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Duplicate entry's

Unless you added more fields to the contact table, one set of entries would be lost. If you aren't presently using the opportunities in the ACT! program, you could configure the opportunities to hold the vehicle information because the opportunities are stored in a one-to-many table. There are also addons that allow you to configure additional one-to-many tables in the database which could be configured to hold the vehicle information.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129