Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicate Checking

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Duplicate Checking

Hi all,

We wondered if there was a way in which ACT! might pick up contact records with slight differences (e.g. in Contact name or Company name) as duplicates when entering them, as opposed to only if they are exact duplicates in these fields?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kirstyandjim
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Duplicate Checking

The best I've found is the DeDup addon from http://www.egenconsulting.com/egcproducts.html They have a version that uses fuzzy searches.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author kirstyandjim
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The best I've found is the DeDup addon from http://www.egenconsulting.com/egcproducts.html They have a version that uses fuzzy searches.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Just watched the demo video on Egen Consulting web site.  It did not mention the ability to merge records, just match potential duplicates and then blow away all but one preferred record.  Dangerous. Apparently no option to carefully study the matched rcords and save important information which duplicate records may have and in the final record.  All that happens is that data that is blown away is placed in a Note.  $149 for this close-but-no-cigar software is not realistic.  I wonder why de-duping in ACT is such a scourge for ACT customers.  The default program in ACT is abominable.

You are reported for making the same posting multiple times. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Fine. Let's not solve the root issue, which is multiple boards having the exact same theme, and each of those boards promoting the same software program from Egen Consulting, one of your ACT Consultant colleagues. If this occurs so often, perhaps the forum needs better management so people looking for help don't have to jump from one board to another with high hopes of finding a solution to the same problem. Am I being pragmatic with this notion? Yes. Am I the real problem? No. Go ahead and report away if that floats your boat. I'm fed up with not getting resolution to recurring ACT issues from the company itself.  I'm a loyal long-time (over 20 years) customer and I have had too many inquiries to ACT tech support staff who don't know the product. I read the entire "ACT Fanatics" group discussion (primarily current and former ACT managers and executives) on LinkedIn and it makes me feel even worse for users who aren't getting help from the company itself.  So, this post is too long and unrelated to the specific issue, so report me, delete this post, blackball me, whatever you want - I don't care. I just want help from Sage, not consultants, so I don't have to keep going to the community and getting opinions instead of straight answers from Sage ACT.

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

rkeesecker wrote:

... the root issue, which is multiple boards having the exact same theme ...

I don't think that's the issue, it's organised by products. As are most forums from most vendors (software and hardware). De-duplication is an issue that spans multiple products. Hence why one would use search to find a thread that seems most appropriate when trying to find an answer. Failing that, post and ask, but without getting spammy.

This is, by definition, a community. It is the public, the consultants, and even the Sage ACT! staff (i.e. "the community") giving it's two cents worth.

Many ACC's and members of the public express their feelings about the product and the addon's here, you are just one of them. You're entitled to your opinion, and I for one, actually enjoy hearing everyones differing opinions. They update and inform my own opinion, at times causing me to change my mind on issues. This is a good thing.

What Roy was saying (in my own view, he'll correct me if I'm wrong) is that multiple posting of the same thing is abusing the forum, it's abusing the community and insulting the intelligence of the public and the consultants that frequent here. We're here to help and learn, not get spoken down to or abused. We do this for free. I don't get paid to answer your questions here and neither does Roy or any of the other consultants that come here. We're here because we want to be.

If you don't want to deal with the community, that's ok, no harsh feelings. I'm here for those that do want to be here.

rkeesecker wrote:

I just want help from Sage, not consultants, so I don't have to keep going to the community and getting opinions instead of straight answers from Sage ACT.

So do that. Click the Contact Us button at the top of the page.

screenshot_04.png