Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicate Checking - Have 100s and I have access to Oakmerge

Duplicate Checking - Have 100s and I have access to Oakmerge

I am using Act Pro Vs 17 and already have 100s of duplicates and need a smart way to fix them and the native two by two way within ACT! is not an option.  I do have Oakmerge and I am a wizard in Excel but I cannot figure is clever way to do it.

I think there must be a clever way to do this.  I often have data in each record that I want and am able to "copy and paste" want I want in Excel (much quicker than within ACT), but then I need to update ACT! and delete my duplcates.

Options I have attempted - I Have a field = "Propose to Delete" so I populate that with "Yes" for the contact I don't want.  When I review my data in Excel, save it as a .csv and use Oakmerge to import it, Oakmerge is so "clever", it merges the data so both records end up with "Propose to Delete" = Yes.  So all my work to identify which record to delete and to have merged (in Excel) basic data like phone number goes down the drain.  My plan was to do a look up in ACT! where "Propose to Delete" = Yes, and delete the contacts.  As my "Propose to Delete" = Yes in both records, it is an epc fail.  Result, data is "better" but duplicates still there.

Option 2 - Jumping up and down and yelling at my computer - more satisfying, results inconclusive.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Duplicate Checking - Have 100s and I have access to Oakmerge

Naomi, if you already have hundreds of duplicates try figuring out the source.  I suspect since you mention Oak Merge that you've been doing a bunch of importing.  Make sure you know how to use the criteria to avoid more dupes in the future.  Look at the contact list, add the create date, and see if there is a pattern.  If you haven't been adding notes and histories yet you might be able to just do a Lookup for duplicates, sort by create date, and delete all of those in mass.  And, since you've already marked some as known culprits you can Look those up and delete them in mass.  Another alternative is the Dedupe Wizard by Egen Consulting that will remove duplicates in greater number than just 2 if the above options don't work.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450

Hi Karen,

Thanks, the duplicates are there from years of use.  I am planning to import a heap more data using Oakmerge and BEFORE I do that I want to clean up my duplicates so the source is varied.

As a result, there may be notes and histories that I need to address and I know I need to do those ones one by one and do a merge.  However, there are heaps where it is just basic contact imformation which has changed over the years as people have changed jobs etc.  That's whay I am trying to address.

I am starting to wonder if I should export my duplicates, in excel populate fields with correct data and also populate a currently empty field with data that flags I want to delete, it, import the data using ACT! and then look up the ones I flag to delete and get rid of them.  My previous testing of ACT imporat and manage duplicates was it was next to useless so taht's why I bought OakMerge.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Thanks

Naomi

Copper Elite Contributor

If the dupes you have are from years of data the Excel export won't help as you can't export notes and histories.  You need to merge the dupes.  Act will only let you do two at a time; the only viable solution I see if the Dedupe Wizard I mentioned earlier.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450

Thanks.