Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Drop-down list doesn't display properly on layout (ACT! 2010)

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Drop-down list doesn't display properly on layout (ACT! 2010)

[ Edited ]

I have company drop down list that was working fine and then changed computers.  This is ACT! by Sage 2010.

Now on my contact page--instead of box with downward triangle to access drop down list------

I have box with 3 dots--like it is phone number or contact name.

HOW do I reactivate drop down list for companies?

When I go to "define fields" it shows that all those companies are in drop down list.

But back at contact page--it will not show drop down list.

Please help and give me tips!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Drop-down list doesn't display properly on layout (ACT! 2010)

Greg:

Thanks for your help!  I basically created a new field--and I am using the old company list as the drop down list.  So there now is an obsolete field that is supporting this new field.  

Now it is working.  I don't know why it stopped working, though I changed computers and maybe something got confused from that.  

Thanks again for your advice.  Cindy Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello CCBBL,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Here are some things to try:

- select a different layout and see if the field appears correctly.

- in Define Fields > what is the Type for the company field?  Is it set to Character and to use a drop-down?

- right click on the field while in the contact detail screen and on the menu presented, look for the item 'Lookup abc' (where abc is the field name).  Is the field name correct?

- if the field name is correct and the settings in Define Fields are correct, try editing the layout: remove the field and then re-add it.

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg:

I have redone the company field and it still does not work.  When I look at the drop-down list, all the companies are there.

When I go back to "enter field name and type" on the field name for Company page,

I can not check the "use drop-down list" because it is grey.

What is happening?

Platinum Super Contributor

It appears you are using the default 'Company' field > the button with 3 dots is used to link the contact record with a defined Company record.  I've tested with ACT! 2009, 2010, and 2011 and have only been able to enable the drop-down list in ACT! 2009.  Was it working in ACT! 2010 before, or was it a different version of ACT!?  Were any updates applied to ACT! 2010 recently?

I have just reported this to our Development team for investigation.

As an option, you can create a new field that uses the drop-down > perform a Lookup All > then use the Edit / Copy Field function to populate the new field. 

Note: It is a best practice to create a backup of the database before making mass changes (File > Backup > Database).

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Greg:

Thanks for your help!  I basically created a new field--and I am using the old company list as the drop down list.  So there now is an obsolete field that is supporting this new field.  

Now it is working.  I don't know why it stopped working, though I changed computers and maybe something got confused from that.  

Thanks again for your advice.  Cindy Smiley Happy