Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Drop Downs, Phone prefixes etc

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Drop Downs, Phone prefixes etc

Using ACT 10 on Windows 7. Although the format design shows that phone number fields have drop downs they do not show and when entering phone numbers it is anyones guess from day to day which format the program will use. Sometimes it is OK. Some times it pops in a USA text prefix (why?) No chance for international numbers! And then when I attempt to post a note for a new contact I get an error message saying I cant leave the mobile phone field empty (why not?). This is amongst the latest of a lot of problems I have had with this program. I am very tempted to try something else. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author newdatabungler
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Drop Downs, Phone prefixes etc

Thanks for the confirm - at least you know it wasn't the update or TopLine. But everyone always blames ACT! ;-)

It's one issue that's been in Symantec, Interact and Sage versions ... they all use similar XML for the layouts and not enough users mind using default DPI for Sage to do the R&D to fix it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

When using ACT10 on Windows 7 you should first make sure that you have the latest updates installed and run the database maintenance from the tools menu.

It is not usual to get an error on mobile field unless you have changed the field definition to make this field mandatory, you should check this in define fields.

Lastly check another layout to see if phone fields display correctly as you may have a damaged layout causing the display to be messed up.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Bronze Super Contributor

newdatabungler wrote:

...of a lot of problems I have had with this program.

What other problems have you had?

It should default the country code for the Country in the address (enter that first) or, if you don't, will default to the country of your My Record.

To change the format or cc, click the button with three dots in the phone field.

If you get a message that a field can't be blank, this is a setting in Define Fields made by whoever designed the database
Bronze Contributor

Same problem that I'm having - missing Phone buttons to choose country/formatting, missing Company Linking button, missing Contact Name (first/middle/Last) button. I call these 'Ellipsis' buttons because they have 3 dots or periods.  All regular drop-down/picklist buttons are in place.  ACT! 2011 Premium + SP1 + HF 4 - started happening after HF 4 was applied and TopLine DesignerPlus was installed.

Signature

Try checking the DPI setting as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26349

That's been the issue when I've seen the phone ellipsis button disappear

Bronze Contributor

Thanks, Michael, I've passed your suggestion along.  I've seen it affect label wrap, and mini-calendars, but I've never seen it affect the visibility of buttons.

Signature

Let me know if the memory was working right ... if they are not set to the default (96dpi for XP/Vista, 'small' for Win7) it can cause the display to cut off items. Been an issue with DPI since 3.0

Newdatabungler should also try it... I think I missed it with the term pull-downs rather than button :-)
Bronze Contributor

That did it!  Thanks for the reminder - I doubt I would have connected DPI to missing Ellipsis buttons.

Signature
Solution
Accepted by topic author newdatabungler
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Thanks for the confirm - at least you know it wasn't the update or TopLine. But everyone always blames ACT! ;-)

It's one issue that's been in Symantec, Interact and Sage versions ... they all use similar XML for the layouts and not enough users mind using default DPI for Sage to do the R&D to fix it.