Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Drop Down to Suggest - not Restrict

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Drop Down to Suggest - not Restrict

Hi -

In my database, a majorty of the entries are from 8 to 10 cities and 10-20 zip codes.

I have made a drop down list of cities and zip codes which helps to speed data input.

My problem is that if I have someone in a city or zip that is not on the drop down list, I need to add it to the list or Act doesn't accept the entry. 

Can we set a drop-down list to accept entries outide of the list?

Ken Silberling
Principal
Commercial Florida Realty Services
Boca Raton, FL
www.commfla.com

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kennyess
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: Drop Down to Suggest - not Restrict

Yes, There are a couple of places within Tools, Define Fields to set this. First, go to Tools, Define fields and choose edit field after selecting the field you want to change.  The first dialog box here will also show you the name of the drop down list which you will need later.

Choose Next and go to the step that says Customize Field and list behavior.  Here you can choose 1) limit to list and 2) enable Multi Select if you choose to.  Then Hit finish

Then, still under Tools, Define Fields, go to Manage Drop Down LIsts and then Edit Drop Down for the list you want to change..  From here there is a check box to 1) allow users to edit items in the list and 2) automatically add new items users enter in the list.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author kennyess
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Yes, There are a couple of places within Tools, Define Fields to set this. First, go to Tools, Define fields and choose edit field after selecting the field you want to change.  The first dialog box here will also show you the name of the drop down list which you will need later.

Choose Next and go to the step that says Customize Field and list behavior.  Here you can choose 1) limit to list and 2) enable Multi Select if you choose to.  Then Hit finish

Then, still under Tools, Define Fields, go to Manage Drop Down LIsts and then Edit Drop Down for the list you want to change..  From here there is a check box to 1) allow users to edit items in the list and 2) automatically add new items users enter in the list.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Excellent -

I couldn't find that in the help section and didn't see it in the forums, so hopefully this will also help other people with the same problem.

Thanks a lot.

Ken Silberling
Principal
Commercial Florida Realty Services
Boca Raton, FL
www.commfla.com