Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Driving directions between customers link?

Copper Super Contributor

Driving directions between customers link?

Hi,

Am using Act 2010, 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1.

In previous versions of Act there was a way to select two contacts and create driving directions from one to the other.  I cannot figure out if this is still available in 2010. 

I understand the Web Links tab allows me to create directions from my office to a contact, but I want he directions from that contact to another contact. 

Is this still possible?  It was incredibly handy (I haven't been traveing much the last 18 months so hadn't noticed the omission until now).

Mike

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Driving directions between customers link?

[ Edited ]

Hello Mike,

I do not recall that as a standard function in any of the prior versions, so I'm guessing you had some time of third party add-on software. I could not find any add-ons that will do that for the existing version. However, I believe that Google Maps will let you map out contacts and get directions. Also, Microsoft Streets & Trips will map conacts from an Excel spreadsheet (you can export contact info to Excel).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I believe you're referring to the old add on Proximity or something called ACT! Net. The former was a third party add on dated back to the ACT! 3 or 4 days. I've not heard of tie with later versions. ACT! Net was a service the Interact Commerce offered for ACT! 5 for less than one year. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks. 

I am 90% sure it was a function built in, I never bought or activated an add-on for it but I could be wrong I suppose. 

A pop up window had drop downs to select the starting and ending contacts.  This was at least back around 2000/2001, and I think into 2003. 

I suspect when Act switched to .net it went away.

Anyway I'll survive, somehow, without it :-)

Best....Mike

That definitely sounds like the ACT! Net. From a business standpoint it was a failure. It lasted less than a year and never made enough money to pay for maintaining the service let alone the development costs. Today the ideal would be to link the ACT! database to Google maps.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Super Contributor

There is a way to use the Google button on the global toolbar that will allow driving directions from the address on the My Record to the address on the contact that is displayed on the screen.  Might that be what you remembered if it was one of the newer versions of ACT!?  It would not give directions between customer 1 and customer 2, but it would give directions between the My Record address and the current contact.  Hope that helps, Brenda

Brenda Dixon
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

YES, this feature DID exist and was quite useful to me.

In the versions of Act! prior to Sage taking over from Best Software, a menu option was connected to text files in the Netlinks folder, where for instance this file named "YahooDirections.web" has this content:

[&Yahoo Directions...]<

Address_Dialog_2:

Driving Directions:

&Create Map:

A1: Origin:My:H:

A2: Destination:Contact:H

>http://maps.yahoo.com/py/ddResults.py?&name=<

A1:Company>&newaddr=<A1:Address1:27>&csz=<A1:Zip:32>&country=us&tname=<

A2:Company>&taddr=<A2:Address 1:27>&tcsz=<A2:Zip:32>&tcountry=us

When in the old Act! I select from the Internet drop down menu the option "Yahoo Directions", Act! opens this Address_Dialog_2 Box that has two addresses side by side.  The left one lists as a default A1 (My Record,  and my Home address). The address on the right (A2) is the Home address of the Contact that was in focus when I selected this option.

But BOTH of these addresses are in a changeable scrow down type list, so when it opens, where I see my name I can instead select any other contact, and get either their home or office address. THAT feature then allows me to find a route from contact to contact . 

The reason it worked well was that this built-in Address_Dialog_2 routine referenced the contact database TWICE, in order to get both addresses.  I've been unable to duplicate this functionality in the newer (SAGE...) versions.   I can customize the web pages themselves, but I can't force them to look twice at the contact lists.

AND I DO MISS THAT FUNCTIONALITY!

That sounds like an add on or third party functionality. I was in ACT! tech support at that timeand I never heard of that capability.

By the way, Best and Sage are the same company. Best was a temporary name for Sage's North American operation until they acquired rights to the Sage name in North America.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

You may be right.

I had this old Act! version set up and working great oh about  7 years ago, and I can't recall all the addons I installed back then.  So it's possible this is an addon.

Moreover, going thru the list of text files in that NetLinks folder, I found one suspiciously named nwoods.web

It just contains this:

[Add-ons From Northwoods]http://www.nwoods.com/act/

So maybe they did have this back then an addon. However I couldn't find it available in their website anymore for the old Act versions, let alone for the 2011 version.

Bummer.