Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Doing Advance Lookup on a field value

nmk

Doing Advance Lookup on a field value

I am looking to perform an Advanced Lookup Query on another field value instead of a value I type in.  Is that possible and how would I do that?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Doing Advance Lookup on a field value

Nmk,
Can you expand on what you are attempting to do? Possibly provide an example.
Greg Martin
Sage
nmk

We have several contacts who have the same name as the company.  I won't go into the long story of how that happened - it just did.  We now want to put the name in the correct spot: Comany or Contact.  Just want to find all those who have the same name both places so we can correct them.  So I want to do a lookup where Contact is equal to Company.

Platinum Elite Contributor

There isn't any way to do that with a query. Field values can be queried using AND or OR but not equals. The queries don't support anything like If/Then statements. I could likely create a report that would print a list that would identify the problem contacts.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
nmk

Could I do a report myself - or do I need you to do it?  How would I get that report? 

The basic report template would be fairly simple, possibly a minimum of three fields. However it would require some Visual Basic script programming. 

It's not a query but you could use the list view in tag mode placing the Contact and Company columns next to one another and visually identify the problem contacts.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
nmk

Have already tried that.  Not sure I got them all...  We have 1268 contacts - your eyes become 'unfocused' after looking at so many...  I am rusty on Visual Basic - but can I do that in the reports or do I need to enter a special way??  I haven't used Sage reports at all - so have no experiece with Sage reports...

You would do the scripting in the report but it's snippets embeded in the report scructure. The sipllist version would be no better than using the contact list. A mre sophisticated version would list only the problems ones listed with perhaps the phone number as an additional identifier. That version would require in depth experience with the reports.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclusure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.  The report chapters work for all version of the ACT! program since ACT! 2007.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129