Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does Anyone Have Problems Adding Multiple Contacts to An Opportunity and Having The Referenced Company Change

Bronze Contributor

Does Anyone Have Problems Adding Multiple Contacts to An Opportunity and Having The Referenced Company Change

ACT 2010

I may have posted this before, but wanted to wait until after I had installed all the HotFix's before asking again.

I'm wondering if there is a procedural way to add multiple contacts to an opportunity.  When I add an additional contact, say from a supporting manufacturer, the company reference changes from the original company (the customer) to the added contact's company (manufacturer). 

So I guess the question I am asking is how to lock the original company to the opportunity.

Thank you in advance for reading and your response to this post.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have Problems Adding Multiple Contacts to An Opportunity and Having The Referenced Company Change

Hello John,

Just for clarification, when you say the "referenced company", are you referring to the Company Name when view the Opportunities in list view? If this is the case, the Company Name you are seeing is the one associated with the first contact (alphabetically) linked to the Opportunity. If this is not what you are seeing, please reply in kind to this post.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have Problems Adding Multiple Contacts to An Opportunity and Having The Referenced Company Change

Good evening Greig.

I think you stated it correectly.  Are you telling me that in list view, the company displayed will always be the company associated with the contact that is lower in alphabetical order and can change in list view as contacts are added or removed? 

Example:

Create an opportunity with company "ABC" and contact "Robert Yellow", hit save and move on.

Later, it is learned that "Bill Bronson" with Company "DEF" is also involved with this opportunity and he is added.

The list view should now show "DEF" instead of "ABC"; is that right?

John Purdy
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

That is correct. The "Company" column in the list view is the company that the contact associated with the opportunity has in their Company Name field...not the company or companies under the Groups/Companies tab of the opportunity. That information would be in the "Associated With" column in the opportunity list view.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Contributor

I guess I may be missing the point.  If I am tracking an opportunity, it is with a company and there are people in that company and my company involved in bringing this opportunity to a close.

If I change an associate to the opportunity that causes the list view to change, that will cause me to possibly miss the next step.  I tried removing the associate's company from the group/companies tab but the sort order changed.

Maybe I need to be pointed to a white paper or something else that give me a better understanding behind how opportunities were designed to be used.

Thanks for your response.

John Purdy

I have the same issue, the last contacted added to the oppurtuntiy, becomes the company that appears in the company list. This is a problem, because I might list my local sales rep as a contact on the oppurttunity, but I do not his/ her company to become the company listed on the oppurtuntiy list.

There should be a way to order or ID the company associated with oppurtunity.

Bronze Contributor

Hi MEF ACT -

First, please go to the Share Your Ideas forum and make a recommendation to somhow identify which company is the "Primary" or "Key" company to be listed - maybe a check box.

Second, the only solution now is to create a new field to record the company name.  It is double entry, I know, but it does solve your problem.  You can then customize the columns to include that new field.

In the long run it is more important, at least to me, to keep all the people involved with an opprotunity associated with it.

John Purdy