Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does ACT's Fatal Flaw with Notes Continue in ACT 2012

Astute Commentator

Does ACT's Fatal Flaw with Notes Continue in ACT 2012

Does ACT'S Fatal Flaw: Notes Go Into Wrong Contact - Continue with ACT 2012.

I first made ACT Aware of its FATAL FLAW of notes going into the wrong contact on 11/09/2010. Has it been fixed in ACT 2012?

When you post a note, it will sometime go into the wrong contact's data. Especially if you create a new contact or make a duplicate contact, possibly while in a group or a lookup. This corrupts your database over time, causing huge errors in your work. I have talked to Tech Support several times and I know that they know how to reproduce the error every time. This sneaky error costs me all kinds of problems. Has there been a patch or a fix?

Thank you.

poweruser

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Does ACT's Fatal Flaw with Notes Continue in ACT 2012

I wasn't aware of this issue (not that I'm aware of all of them though).  Can you tell me how to reproduce it?

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

Stan, This sometimes reproduces the error:
REPRODUCING ACT'S FATAL FLAW ERROR

Go into Groups. Chose one.

Right click, create lookup.

Create a new contact.

Type in a company name.

Then insert a note. It goes into the wrong contact - at least sometimes.

This is not the only kind of event that creates the error. Creating a duplicate contact and creating a new contact under other circumstances also do this. Most people will not catch this error. Certainly, an employee will not necessarily even care enough to look for it.

Please, do this a bunch of times and see if you get the error.

My best regards,

Poweruser

[Edit: Content removed]

Platinum Elite Contributor

Stan

I've recreated the problem on ACT! 2011. It typically involves creating a new contact and then immediatedly creating a note, history or activity for that contact. Instead of attaching to the new contact record it attaches to underlying record that was the logged record before creating the new contact. Similar things would happen with new groups or companies. Basically ACT! isn't making the new contact record the logged record until you do an explicit save.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

Roy,

Thanks for recreating the problem. Maybe we will get this figured out. You say, "Basically ACT! isn't making the new contact record the logged record until you do an explicit save." You imply that hitting "save" will solve the problem. For me it does not.

When I hit save, "Instead of attaching to the new contact record" the database moves back to the "underlying record that was the logged record before creating the new contact." - as you describe it.

So hitting save does not solve the problem at all.

I have had hundreds of these errors in my ACT database and they are a nightmare for me.

Poweruser

I couldn't remember if save or refresh fixed the problem when I tried it. You should be able to see what I mean by logged record by adding a new contact for testing, save the record than click on one of the large activity buttons because they work with the logged contact.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

By the way I did report this to Sage along with my analysis come time back.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

ACT's fatal flaw of attaching notes to the wrong contacts continues. It's a daily headache. I'm still using ACT 2011 and no one I have talked to says that the problem is fixed in ACT 2012. That's why I haven't upgraded. This is a HORRIBLE FLAW, corrupting my database on a daily basis. I don't see how ACT can be so unresponsive to database corruption. - poweruser