Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does ACT 2012 Pro Seamlessly Integrate with G-mail now?

Astute Commentator

Does ACT 2012 Pro Seamlessly Integrate with G-mail now?

In September 2011, I asked if ACT 2012 Pro integrated with G-mail and the answers were mostly long and disastrous. It became so complicated I gave up. Back then I was told:

"The ACT! program will not initiate a new email using Gmail. Google integration also includes synchronizing your ACT! contacts and calendar with the Google contacts and calendar. Here is a post which contains information on 'Port Tunneling', which has been used to set up ACT! Internet Mail with email providers using non-standard ports: Port Tunneling. Note: This has not been tested with Gmail and is not a supported solution."

I wasted a lot of time trying to get this work using Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, but could never get it to work so I NEVER UPGRADED TO ACT 2012.

Some people have said you have to work around the gmail problem by using Outlook or Outlook express.

I am now thinking of upgrading to ACT 2012 and taking on the G-mail problem. After all ACT says: "Seamless interaction with desktop and web-based productivity tools, and social media, like Microsoft® Outlook,® Gmail,™ LinkedIn, and more."

What will be the quickest easiest way to get ACT 2012 to work with my Gmail? Will I need to buy Microsoft Office Standard, Home and Business, or Professional to get ACT to work with Outlook, which in turn will work with G-mail?

Or something like that?

I am not real high tech and don't understand tunneling.

What's the simplest way?

Thanks everyone!

Astute Commentator

Re: Does ACT 2012 Pro Seamlessly Integrate with G-mail now?

No replies? This is a very important issue for me. I want to be able to send out e-mail via ACT 2012 but I want to read all my e-mail via G-mail, because G-mail removes spam and helps me organize and filter my e-mail so well. G-mail has turned out to be a great e-mail client for me. But how to get it working with ACT?

Platinum Super Contributor

The Google/Gmail integration with Sage ACT! is for recording sent and received GMail emails into the database.  It is not designed for full integration as an email client (ex: sending mail merge or email using template), although there is a way to send individual emails - those instructions can be found in this Community post: Fast Tip - Gmail in Sage ACT!

To fully integrate (ability to send mail merge, multiple contacts, email using template), you would want to set up Outlook to use the Gmail account and then integrate Sage ACT! and Outlook.  With this setup, you would not use the Google 'record history' integration.

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Elite Contributor

We created the ability to open a G-mail send message window from an ACT! contact record by simply selecting a button adjacent to the email field. You can download our free add-on from Free ACT! Add-ons 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Super Contributor

Any eta on when we might be able to:

1. natively from ACT! (without an addon) send email from ACT! via GMail?

2. per item one, send email (from template)?

Had a client request this yesterday.

Ben.

Astute Commentator

Can I send mail out using outlook and have the return email all come to Gmail?

That way I could use mailmerge and so forth on outgoing mails. I could have

emailName@somedomain.com

and reply to

emailName@gmail.com

Would something like that work?

Or would something like that be blocked.

Thank you.

Bronze Super Contributor

You could use GoogleApps, which means you have Gmail with your own domain.

Configure Outlook to use GMail,

then I believe you can do one of thow things:

1. Use Outlook to send emails (which allows template use), Outlook is integrated with ACT!, but no histories are recorded by default. Because it's talking to Gmail/Google Apps, the 'record history' function takes place there, so that any emails sent via gmail also get recorded.

2. Use Outlook to send emails, Outlook is integrated with ACT!, histories ARE recored, the gmail 'record history' funciton is not active.

What I'd like to to eliminate Outlook, and use Gmail for everything.

Astute Commentator

Thank you.

Can you explain more what using Google apps means?

I went into Google, More, but did not seem to find what you must mean.

Thank you again.

Bronze Super Contributor

Start here: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

Get yourself a domain name, configure Google Apps (get your IT leprechauns to do this).

Then you can use Gmail for your own email at your own domain name.

Ben.

Astute Commentator

I see what you mean at Google Apps now.

But, I have 1,000 domains and Gmail with 10 aliases and 10 domains imported as POP3 emails. It looks like I would have to sign up for Google Apps busines, which costs money.

"After 30 days, you may continue using Google Apps for a small monthly fee, only $5 per user per month"

I really don't want to have to sign up for one more subscription service as I'm getting nickel and dimed to death already.

It would be so easy if ACT would just integrate with Gmail to send mail and then I could recieve it all on my Gmail account, which imports all those emails already.

Thank you.