Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does ACT! 2011 now have built-in "Custom Tables" and/or "One-to-Many Relationships" or.....

Does ACT! 2011 now have built-in "Custom Tables" and/or "One-to-Many Relationships" or.....

[ Edited ]

...do we still have to resort to (and empty our bank accounts) for other (3rd party) tools?

And if we do have to part with more of our hard-earned money (on a 3rd party add-on), then which would be some of the best/better ones that will work best with the current/future versions of ACT!?

Currently using v11 (2009).

Another question I have is: if it's possible to upgrade from 2009 to 2001/2012?

Thanks,

Smart ACT, ACT Smart

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Does ACT! 2011 now have built-in "Custom Tables" and/or "One-to-Many Relationships" or.....

The custom table capability was added to the ACT! program several versions ago and is available using the Software Development Kit (SDK). As yet the ACT! program doesn't have a builtin user interface for the custom tables. You would have the choice of builting your own user interface using the SDK or investing in one of the third party products that provide the user interface. My personal experience is with Topline Designer and it's very comprehensive. I also hear good reports on the Durkin Computing product.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Does ACT! 2011 now have built-in "Custom Tables" and/or "One-to-Many Relationships" or.....

Thanks Roy!

Yeah, it's really the builtin interface (for custom tables) that I'm enquiring about. I was certainly aware of the fact that the SDK could be used to custom build the interface ourselves...but that's way too much time and work involved.

So, do you know for sure that the solutions from Topline and Durkin will both work with the current and future versions of ACT!?

Also, do you know whether we can upgrade directly from v2009 to v2012?

Thanks

ACT Smart/Smart ACT

Employee

Yes you can upgrade from any version of act to the current version and yes those two add-on products will work with most current and future versions. I say most only because there were some significant changes made in the 2010 product that affected some add-on products.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

I've use Topline Designer with both ACT! 2010 and 2011 without any problems. I don't know about the features of the Durkin Computing product but Topline Designer allows making the custom table visible on the lookup menu and the scripting component makes it possible to move data between the parent table and the custom table. I recently discovered that Topline allows you to have a sub-custom table to a custom table.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

@Roy,

Thanks...that was very helpful and informative indeed! I too was kinda leaning towards the TopLine solution (seems more professional to me)...and you have most certainly cemented that decision.

Just wanted to know one thing with TopLine's product/solution: For a given master table (i.e. where there is just 1 record per contact/group etc.) is it possible for us to both display on screen and print on paper, the many/multiple records in the joined/linked transaction table(s)?

@Matthew,

Thanks for letting me know about both, the upgrade path to v2011/2012, as well as the 2 add-on products that I enquired about. If you were to choose between one or the other, would you suggest the TopLine product as well? Just curious...and want to make sure I am making the right decision/purchase. I know I can try them for 30 days, but if I can avoid wasting that trial time, then that would be good.

Also, is there a 2012 trial/beta version available for download?

Later,

ACT Smart/Smart ACT

Employee

I think I'd be out of line referring either product due to the relationship I have with the developers of both. They're both very good products and both can accomplish what you want.

Yes there is a beta version, but the beta period has just ended, I'd expect the 2012 version to be released at the beginning of September, regardless of which product you choose they are both 2012 certified.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

If I understand your question correct the answer is yes.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi,

Let me add my positive view about Durkin add-on.

I have. I use it. You can trust Durkin. There is always up grades.

As a matter of fact I use "Impact Business Suite" which includes custom tables.

You can create, design interface, add fields and you can see it both in Contact View or Company view.

Very flexible, stable.

Opportunity features are also very, very nice. I can not imagine myself using ACT without (specially) Opportunity features.

I hope this helps.

Mac, Jorge A. Mac Genity
Using ACT! by Sage 2013 Pro Version 15.1.108.0, on Windows 7
Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @ 3,40 GHz
12,0 GB - 64 bits - NVidia GForce GTX 360 SE

Thanks again Roy...and thanks McGnity...for answering my questions.

Well, I guess I'm now left with no other option but to try them both out and see which one works best for me, or does what I want, the way I want.

In essence, what I'd like to be able to do is as follows;

Let's say I customize ACT! for use in a Used Car business, and let's say I'm viewing a contact/client record. While doing that, I'd also like to be able to see all of the records for the various cars that that customer would have bought from.

Also, if possible, while viewing that contact record, alongwith the "cars purchased" records, I should, at the same time be able to see any and all records pertaining to the service dates for each car. In other words, if the customer bought a Toyota, a Honda and a Ferrari, if the Ferrari record is selected, then all service records for the Ferrari must be shown in a separate window. Kinda like what we were able to do a few years back with FoxPro tables.

Thanks,

SA/AS