Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Document Tab limitations?

Document Tab limitations?

I am using Act! Pro 2011 and link documents (typically Excel spreadsheets) to a client's document tab. These are quote sheets that we can later refer back to requote. I have several clients with 50+ document shortcuts on this tab. Now, when I click on the documents tab (especially with these clients) the display tends to slow down, or I see part of the Act screen appear on my primary monitor (I use dual monitors with Act on the second monitor), or I get a large red x appearing in the tab area of the display, or Act crashes. I have updated to version 13.1.111.0, hot fix 5. I'm wondering if the cause is the number of document short cuts attached to a given contact?

Tuned Listener

Re: Document Tab limitations?

I am also curious about document limitations.  I recently had a user point out one contact record in particular that locks up his ACT as soon as he clicks on the 'Documents' tab.  When trying to recreate the problem on my account, I am able to view the documents, but if I stay on the record for a little while my ACT crashes, as well.  The contact in question actually has 700+ documents attached to the the 'Documents' tab.  Is there a known limitation?  If so, is there a way around this problem?

Kadon Hodson
Technology Officer
TCK - The Trust Company of Kansas
khodson@tckansas.com

I am testing out Scan & Organize, an Act and-on to circumvent this problem. So far, I like the way it works. Each contact gets their own folder and that makes my system much more organized. Plus, it apparently works outside the database, which will keep the file size down.

Bronze Super Contributor

I would say you uncovered the limitation - 700+ is too many.

The document tab is a nice convenience for attaching a handful of documents to a contact but has never been designed to act as a document management system.

If you really need to "attach" that many documents to a contact, you might be better served creating a custom field of the URL field type and then storing a path to a folder that contains the docs:  "file://c:\clients\stuff".

Clicking the field will open the folder in a windows explorer window