Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do not buy Act 10.0 unless you have to

Do not buy Act 10.0 unless you have to

It is not as good and as fast as Act 6.0.  I had to switch back because it was too annoying to deal with all of the issues I was having. 

I am really glad that I decided to have XP on my new computer.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Do not buy Act 10.0 unless you have to

With larger databases, on up-to-date hardware (especially HDD speed 7200RPM or better), ACT! 10 will actually out-perform ACT! 6.0... and 10 has many great new features that it can take ACT! 6.0 users a while to find.

What is HDD speed 7200RPM ?

Disk drive speed is measured in how many Revolutions Per Minute.

Older drives were 5400 or slower, and the Microsoft .Net Framework that ACT! 7.0 and later is built on does not perform well on those drives.

Common speeds are 5400, 7200, 10,000 and 15,000

Usually the best way to check the speed is to open the system, get the model number of the drive, Google it and check the vendor specs.

After Act is installed, why does the disk drive speed matter?

The .Net Framework loads modules as needed to improve RAM useage and reduce risk of conflicts ... but it means that disk speed effects the applications quite a bit
Nickel Elite Contributor

Kinger wrote:
    [After Act is installed, why does the disk drive speed matter?]

Programs are classed as compute bound, I/O bound ot neutral, depending on where their operational bottleneck occurs. A program like Word is generally neutral, you load the main body of the program and open the document you are working on and then most everything takes place in memory and because typing speed is slow relative to the computer processor. A graphics program like AutoCAD tends to be compute bound because of all the lengthy computations required to display the graphics so that the processor and memory speed becomes very important. The ACT! program is I/O bound for two reasons. The complexity of the program means that the entire program can't fit in memory so the program is required to load and unload modules as they are required. The other factor is that the entire database does not load into memory, only that limited part that your are working with right now. That means that when you move from one contact record to another, that new information needs to be retrieved from the hard disk.

I hope this helps explain why the hard disk speed is very important to the ACT! program. By the way, the typical laptop from a couple of years ago had a 4200 RPM hard drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I did a google and my disk drive is 5400.  Oh well...

7200rpm drives are pretty cheap now... if speed becomes an issue, that would be a good investment - especially if you already have 2GB RAM
Copper Contributor

RAM and drive speed makes all the difference with the SQL based Act products. People get a shock when moving from v6 to later products as v6 would run on just about anything, however things have moved on.