Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do I need to publish 5 remote databases for 5 computers, or can they all unpack the same remote db?

Copper Super Contributor

Do I need to publish 5 remote databases for 5 computers, or can they all unpack the same remote db?

Do 5 separate child computers with act on them each need a separately published remote db, or can they all unpack a single published remote db?  What is the correct way to do parent / remote db's in an environment where everyone will be working on the same database with access to all records?  I am thinking it is better to publish 5 separate remotes with 5 separate user names so the records reflect who worked on what and when.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Do I need to publish 5 remote dbs for 5 computers, or can they all unpack the same remote db?

Each remote user will need their own individual .rdb file for their machine.  Re-using the same .rdb file on multiple machines will cause sync errors.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Do I need to publish 5 remote dbs for 5 computers, or can they all unpack the same remote db?

Ok, then how do I remove an old unused child (remote) database from the parent machine? I want to reuse the name, but when I publish again, the parent says the name is in use, even if I delete the *.rdb file and delete the database on the remote computer. I tried actdiag to allow me to delete or disconnect the database, but it is not in the list. How do I get rid of an *.rdb file so I can use that name again?
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are a few options:

If you want to delete it, then make sure the database is not listed in ActDiag, locate the database on the machine and either rename or delete the files (.adf, .alf, database files folder)

If you want to keep it, then you can either rename the files or cut them from there current location and put them on an external drive or another machine.

If the remote database is listed under the Manage Database section of the Synchronization Panel, then you will first need to Disable Sync, then Delete Remote (this will not delete the physical database, just the remote connection).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.