Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do I have to have Outlook to have ACt?

Do I have to have Outlook to have ACt?

We are going to get ACT for our non-profit and I used ACT years ago. 

Do we have to interface with Outlook?  If not, where do I find the information about setting up?

Thanks,

Steve

Tuned Listener

Re: Do I have to have Outlook to have ACt?

Steve,

I can comment on Act's email with Outlook -- we don't synchronize Act and Outlook calendars or contacts, if that's what you're asking about.

Whether you need Outlook for email depends on two things: your Internet service provider and whether you want HTML email.

Comcast, for example, requires that POP3 email be sent via a nonstandard smtp port (587 versus 25). The Act email client does not let you choose the smtp port. Outlook and Outlook Express do let you choose the port. (Other -- nonMicrosoft -- email clients may also allow choosing the port, I've not tried them.)

We use Comcast so for us the choice was between Outlook and Outlook Express. However, using Outlook Express with Act does not support composing HTML email messages, whereas Outlook does. Since we need to control the smtp port and want HTML rather than plain text, we chose Outlook.  

Finally, Outlook 2003 and 2007 do not work properly with Act 2009 in that the Outlook process (Outlook.exe) does not terminate when you close Outlook. The workaround is to use Windows Task Manager to close the process or buy an Outlook addin that closes Outlook.exe to close.

As for configuring the Act Email client, Act has a wizard to step you through it and the help file has details.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Steve,

On most of our systems, we keep ACT!  separate from Outlook. No need to interface them for most of our needs.

Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

I don't know where you are located but my ISP is Comcast and I have email setup through them and the send is through port 25.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have our webpage hosted by godaddy.com and I have pop3 connection with outlook.  When I get my ACT 10. , can I set up a pop 3 account like I did with Outlook, but not use outlook?

The reason I want to avoid Outlook is that I bought it off the shelf and there is a glitch and I have spent 40+ hours on the phone with Microsoft and I am going crazy.

Thanks,

Steve

[ Edited ]

Only if you can use these ports pop3:110 SMTP:25. Our email is hosted by our web host which is different from our ISP. We need to use SMTP:587 to get past our ISP

and access our host. ACT doesn't allow this so we have no choice other than to run Outlook in addition to ACT!  So far the integration is not living up to the hype!

Message Edited by mannod on 03-17-2009 11:20 AM