Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Divisions & Companies

Tuned Listener

Divisions & Companies

I have a database of properties.  Each property has a name, and is a division of a "parent" company.  How can I have a field "Parent" record the parent company name in a division?
Bronze Contributor

Re: Divisions & Companies

Hello dlkopp_2000,

I am not a technician as you will read from many of the surperb replies here.  I am, however, a user of ACT and the subject of divisions and companies is something I work with.

I think you need to first understand that the parent and division architecture is not a relational one, but in fact a list of individual lists that are not inclusive.  What I mean by that is that you can create a company, let's say "Sage" and then you want to create a division called "Atlanta".  When you create "Atlanta" it does not roll up to "Sage".  They would be two independent lists, if you will.

So, here's what I did ....

I created a company called "Sage" for the members who are only associated to "Sage".

I then created a company called "Sage - Atlanta" for the members who are only associated to the Atlanta location.  If there is a person who is in both locations, I would either add a field that would cover that piece of information or create a 2nd profile -- one for Sage and one for Sage -- Atlanta.

Again, the "divisions" do not roll up to the higher level.

I hope that helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Tuned Listener

THank you, as there is no rollup, how does act know what divisions go with which company?  and Is there a way to do a lookup of all divvisions in a company.  THen I can add a new field called Parent to accomplish my goal

Bronze Contributor

As a disclaimer once again, I am not a technician, and you may get a better answer from one of the others on this forum.

The only way I can think of doing this is by careful management of the naming conventions you use for creating companies and divisions.  Using the example of Sage and Sage - Atlanta you would do a lookup on "Sage" only and it will return all the companies that are listed with the word "Sage" as the first word.

Hope that helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Elite Contributor

dlkopp_2000,

If ultimately you would like to end up with a lookup of properties within a parent company this is one way it could be done.  Use two contact fields: one that describes the property location and another that describes the parent company name.  You could populate a dropdown in the parent company name field for consistency.  Once the location and parent company fields are popuated you have a few options.  You could populate companies and subdivisions using lookups/queries. The ACT! 2009 Demo database has examples of company membership based on query if you would like to see some examples.  You could also use "Parent Company" as an ID/Status value if you would prefer to not create a new field.   

Also, you can create a group for each parent company, define the membership criteria as being: "Parent Company Field = <Parent Company Name>"  This way it will autopopulate with all the properties (contact records) that are associated with that given parent company.  Right click on the group name and select create lookup from the context menu and you have your lookup.  You could also just do a lookup instead of creating a group out of it depending on how much you use the collection of properties within a given parent company.