03-26-2013 10:43 AM
Ooops one more annoyance I noticed is that some of my phone numbers have added the country code - no I don't have the use Country Code checked - and this is ONLY for some numbers - numbers that I use frequently and know that they didn't have the Country Code previously...
03-26-2013 10:58 AM
03-26-2013 11:28 AM
I sync my google calendar with my ACT calendar. The calendar syncing was set up through ACT.
I am a single user. I have two computers on my desk - lets call them Computer C and Computer E. I have ACT software installed on both. I have two databases with different information installed on Computer C, and I access computer C from computer E through a network. Everything on computer E seems to work fine.
The disappearing data happens on computer C at various times. Sometimes not at all, sometimes within 5 seconds after I enter data, and sometimes after 1 or 2 minutes. I have learned to save the data or go to another contact which saves the data automatically.
If syncing calendars may be the problem, I can do away with that. Also, should I reinstall the ACT software? I assume I can do that withiout having to get another license.
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
03-27-2013 05:06 AM
I sync to Outlook using the ACT! Synchronization - but it doesn't appear to be happening with the sync process (although ACT! has sent over to Outlook phone numbers with country codes). I only sync one-way to Outlook (I don't bring contacts in from Outlook).
The data disappearing can only possibly be related to installing the latest Hot Fix 2 - but I can't be 100% positive that's what triggered it. In previous versions of ACT! there were specific fields that seemed to disappear, but now the issue has spread to phone and address fields. I've been an ACT! user since the DOS days of Contact International so I'm fairly versed in ACT!
I am using Exponciel Advanced Layout Tools and have grouped some fields together. I'm thinking if it was related to the Add-On, all field data would have been eradicated.
I frequently run a check and repair on the database. ACT Diagnostics doesn't seem to catch any issues (although I'm not sure if it did if it reports errors).
When I do find that disappear I check that against my Outlook contacts that were synced - the data is in Outlook but no longer in ACT! I don't sync to Outlook but once every other week or if I've added a number of contacts into ACT. My database is relatively small about 1100 contacts and growing, but if key data disappears, and I sync to Outlook, I'd have to restore to an earlier and probably lose my work. I haven't seen anything like this in the nearly 30 years I've been using ACT!.
03-27-2013 06:55 AM - edited 03-27-2013 06:59 AM
Have you tried this;
Click Save before Moving out of record. In previous issues/previous versions, moving to the next record without clicking Save mite cause data loss.
What about preforming a Restore-As of desired ACT! good database Backup, then, importing any desired updated records from problemed db into the newly restored db? Use different name for new database.
What about making a Copy of exiting problemed database.
I'm not so familiar with the Copy Database option. Seems like last time I tried that, something didnt get copied completely. ?
Just throwing that out there -hope it helps. cheers - FSB
04-04-2013 12:14 PM
I think I may have solved my problem of disappearing data. I had my ACT calendar and my Google calendar set up to automatically sync every 10 minutes. I changed the settings so they never sync and the data no longer seems to be disappearing. My guess is that every time the calendars synced, I lost any data that I was inputting at that time. I have my fingers crossed that it will continue to work.
04-04-2013 01:54 PM
10-14-2015 07:35 PM
I have been having the same issue with data disappearing on Act v17 hot fix 3 since I updated earlier this year. Tried to fix it 2 months ago with Act Tech support but no help there. Finally got annoyed with it enought to read up on it. Found this post and i had Google Cal sync still turned on even tho it wasn't working (Won't get into the google sync issues there.. thats just disappointing) Anyway, I noticed that it was syncing every 3 min and that's about how long it was taking for my data to disappear as well... about every 2-3 min. I turned off the calendar sync and so far so good. Also noticed an update to SP2 so I just ran that. So far so good. If the problem shows up again tomorrow when I am working, I will post again, but definately appears that there is a link between the google calendar sync and data disappearing. Just my 2 cents.