Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Disappearing Contacts

Disappearing Contacts

We recently found that 2 of our contacts had disappeared from our ACT! Preium 2012 database.  I noticed that we have crossed over 10,000 contacts - does anyone know of an issue with database size and contacts disappearing?    We are looking at scrubbing our databased to make it smaller, but any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

Keith B

Bronze Contributor

Re: Disappearing Contacts

[ Edited ]

Hi Keith and welcome to the community forum.

First, I am not an engineer, but as a frequent user of the forum, I've seen this question asked before.  You might want to search on size limit.

What I've seen before is that you are only restricted by the size of your HDD.  Other will chime in and give you more informatin.

I did a search, and this link on the forum may help:

http://community.act.com/t5/Act/ACT-RECORD-LIMITS/m-p/4120/highlight/true#M2494 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Bronze Elite Contributor

Firstly size is not a problem and you would get error messages, I have over 250,00 in one client database. I do get this question regarding missing records several times a year and in nearly all cases it has either been inadvertently deleted or is in the database with another spelling etc.

First search on the postcode to see if it brings up the record/s. If not do a Keyword search on the company name. ACT normally records the names of deleted records in the history of the user who deleted them so Keyword search will also find the culprit if this has happened.

Lastly you can re-index the database under tools, Database Maintenance in case the indexes have become a problem, this can happen if there has been a data import. In exceptional circumstances it is possible for the SQL table to corrupt and need rebuilding in a tool called ACTDIAG but I doubt this is the problem.

[ Edited ]

@ jnpurdy ---  Thank you for the link. Based on the discussion there and the size of the servers and disk space in our organization, it is probably not a size problem. Thank you

@ch1p - thank you for the Keyword search - we figured out who deleted the contact.   She didn't deliberately delete, but had some problem with her computer while in the contact.    

Platinum Elite Contributor

Typically someone will have inadvertantly edited the contact name and a search by contact won't find them. Try some diferent searches and see if you are able to locate their record. Also try a contains search for part of their name in the contact field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

We were able to find who deleted.    Is there anyway to find the Notes and History information,  I see some of it, but not all of it.

Platinum Elite Contributor

When the contact was deleted all associated data was also deleted. If you have a recent backup you can do a restore as of the backup with a different name and then export the missing contact from the backup to the working database and include all the notes and history.

Be sure to make a safety backup of your working database before attempting such an operation.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129