Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dialer option not showing up in Tools/Preferences/Communication - ACT! 2005

Copper Contributor

Dialer option not showing up in Tools/Preferences/Communication - ACT! 2005

I've just upgraded and installed 2005, and have no phone dialer. Searching KB, I see that there is a Tools...Communications area for "Dialer" that doesn't show up on my (Vista) machine. Even at the outset of loading, I was unable to select my directory, and the loader shut down. After a couple of attempts, I simply let it default, and the program loaded. Is this why I'm having troubles? I've also not been able to do the initial search/download/install upgrades.

Any help, anyone? ACT 6.0 is still on machine and is running. Is this a conflict.

I would very much like to get this new version of ACT running; but dialer is THE most important feature that I use.

Thanks, Don

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Dialer option not showing up in Tools/Preferences/Communication - ACT! 2005

The dialer function was added back into the ACT! program with ACT! 2006, it was not in ACT! 2005. If you are actually running on Vista, then you need to upgrade to ACT! 2008 or 2009, ACT! 2005 is not compatible with Vista.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Ah, Thank you Roy for your prompt and helpful reply. It's wonderful to be able to get the needed answers quickly, without spending hours self-searching.

Question for you: I'm then about to upgrade to the current 2009. Here are my main needs: I'm on Vista, with Office 2007. Primarily my need is for dial-out, so I don't have to manually enter the numbers. But also MS Word (2007) use for letters and/or email templates; and email itself -- integrated with Outlook 2007. In this email, I need to have ACT default-use a specific email account/address, other than the default (personal) Outlook default account.

What do you think? Boards have been fairly good about 2009, and hopefully I'll be getting away from the various work arounds for v6 and 2005 (using a virtual XP machine within my computer, etc.) Do you think this will all work for me -- and be fairly stable? And I saw a note that it doesn't work with Palm 3.0 etc. My Palm-based Treo 700p shows v1.4 in the preferences. Is this not compatible.

Again, thanks.

Roy, I have ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1, and I can't make my dialer work. 

It works on my 2007 Outlook. 

I have windows Vista.

I can't even seem to turn it on much less bring up the Dialer from Contacts, Phone Contact.

Thanks,

Rick