Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dialer - object reference not set to an instance of an object

Copper Contributor

Dialer - object reference not set to an instance of an object

I upgraded my ACT to 2010 and the dialer was working "fine" for a while and now I started getting this error:

I just click Phone Contact > get the error > do OK on the error
then Dialing window opens > click on the phone/number get the same error and can not dial the number. 

What could cause it?  

ACT Version: ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

WIN XP, SP2

Thanks 

error

Bronze Contributor

Re: Dialer - object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hello borudev.

That seems to be a general message for a number of errors.  Not being a programmer, I'm not sure what it means.  

For what it's worth, I use the dialer all day long.  I can't imagine going back and either using my cell phone or just dialing by hand.  A real productivity enhancer.

The first thing I would check is to review the settings for the dialer in either Windows or in the ACT program.  It uses the Windows dialer function.

If all looks good, try a cold reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, go back into the dialer and delete the current name and create a new one.

If you did all these obvious steps, then try reinstalling the ACT software. 

Finally, if nothing else works, reach out to one of the consultants who frequent this board.  I am a user and not a consultant.

Hope this helped

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Platinum Super Contributor

Good suggestions from John.  If they don't resolve the issue, many times the error can come from corrupted Act! Preference files.  Here is a link to instructions for recreating the Act! Preferences: Recreate Preferences/mini calendars

If you have are using Internet Email pay close attention to the steps at the beginning of this article.  If you are integrated with Outlook it is not an issue.  I also recommend skipping to the 'Alternate Solution > Manually Delete Act! Preferences' section (skip the Actdiag steps).

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Rebooted/Reinstalled Dialer - did not help, any other suggestions? We really do not want to resinstall ACT.
Platinum Super Contributor

Have you tried recreating the Act! Preference files (earlier response)?

Have you tested the dialer from a different database (ex: ActDemo)?

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

The issue is that it only pops up when we import the contact form our custom program, if we create it manually - there is no error and it works fine, but when we import it thourgh SDK it gives us this pop up, any ideas what could cause it?
Copper Contributor

I have the same issue.  Is there a fix?