Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dialer not working, using HUD TAPI on Fonality voip

Dialer not working, using HUD TAPI on Fonality voip

I cannot get the dialer to work. I have a Fonality VOIP system that used the HUD TAPI and I cannot for the life of me get the computer to recognize any of this. 

Any ideas where to find decent instructions on how to make this work? The Install guide is no help. I go to the configure in ACT and it gives me a strange error: "Use the HUD application settings for configure TAPI"

THe poor grammar makes me a bit concerned, but I go to the HUD app and it gives me the same error. I go to Control Panel and try it there and it give me the same error.

I called support and they were no help. They told me my dialer was not working. I know this! I also know it is a windows problem, but ACT relies on it to work, so why not have a fix for it.

My gues is that the old busted windows dialer junk is the problem, but there is no way I can find to update it.

Any Ideas?

THanks!

ACT_dialer_install_error.jpg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Dialer not working, using HUD TAPI on Fonality voip

ACT! uses the Windows dialer so you need to get the Windows dialer working. Once it will wokr with the Windows dialer it should work with the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

Roy-

Thanks for responding. You are correct, the problem is the dialer. I mention that in my original post.

I have seen many people with the same problem and consistently the answer is to buy an add on.

The problem here is that the Fonality HUD (heads up display) which is the GUI control panel for their Voip system has a TAPI dialer built into it. It is the dialer you must select to make ACT dialer work. When you select the HUD TAPI you get the error. There is some conflict between these systems.

I have replaced the driver. I need to find a fix for the dialer conflict. ACT relies on this, it is a known problem as the phone support person immediately took me through a SOP to to identify the problem and isolate it to the dialer, and then basically redirected me to a support number and told me I would have to buy a support package. Not good considering what all these licenses cost.

This is a complex problem and needs a resolution as it is not isolated to me.

I desparately need this fixed. I have gone out on a limb offering Act as the right solution to my organization and cannot go back to them and say we now need a $280 per seat add on to fix the problem, or that the company does not support the software. I hope you can appreciate the delicate nature of the problem caused by ACT not offering me a real solution.

If you cannot offer a fix prehaps you can direct me to a channel inside ACT to find a tech there that can help.

I appreciate your help.

Alex

With all due respect, the problem isn't one for the ACT! program to resolve because ACT! doesn't claim compatibility with Fonality HUD nor do I see where they claim support for the Windows dialer or the ACT! program. Have you contacted Fonality to see if they have a solution.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy-

I understand that a business does not like having to be responsible for what another business does, or does not do with their products. In this instance keep a component up to date which is the case of the windows TAPI.  If Toyota builds a car that uses unreliable brakes made by someone else, it is still Toyota's problem when they do not work. 

ACT! chose to use someone else's software to run this feature and are responsible for the fact it is not reliable, and they need to make sure it works. My voip phone works. My dialer on my computer works. ACT! is supposed to work with both of them and does not. My point is there is a solution to his problem. 

I have contacted Fonality, and was sent to their install guide. However, their product works. In the case of the Fonality dialer, they have made the HUD TAPI which works well. I can use it on my computer with ease. It is thier own solution to the lack of reliablity that exists in the winTAPI. They are very clear in their white papers that they do not support any CRM without a (large) retainer. 

The reality is that ACT! has built a component that relies on the funcionality of a dated broken Microsoft product. The marketplace has recognized this is such a problem that there are solutions for sale. It is not reasonable that ACT! has a marginally functional component of their software that is sold as a reliable tool. This is the case with me, I was told that the click to dial worked between ACT! and my phone system. I was also told that if it worked on my computer it should work with ACT! It does work on my computer, it does not work with ACT!. The dialer does work on some computers here, but only sometime. It is just not reliable.

When I brought this to tech and customer service they were very quick to offer me a refund, which I do not want. I am a 15 year ACT! user who has purchased as many as 300 licenses in another business and am growing a new business. I also have 20 or so hours into customization, and more in training, and my employees are using the system.

ACT should provide a solution to the problem that does not involve me shelling out $250 per seat for a solution to fix the $550 software.

The point is that ACT! works fine with the Windows TAPI interface and the Windows dialer. ACT! provides a very comprehensive SDK so that external products can link to the ACT! database. It would appear that HUD TAPI has no interest in developing a link to the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

The point is that ACT! dialer DOES NOT WORK.  Please read what I wrote above, and you will see Act Is the only part of the system that is not working.

I am a bit surprised you are willing to speak for the intentions of people I can only assume you do not know. I have no idea what their interest is, nor do I care. Thier system is working flawlessly. It is running on my computer and using the dialer with great success.

I did install an add on, I have a free trial version. With dialit the ACT dialer works. This makes is completely clear that the problem is ACT! and not any other part of the system, since the guys that developed Dialit did not even mention polycom phones or the Fonality system. 

Is it your position that having to spend 250 dollars more per seat to make a fundamental element of the software work is reasonable?

Let's back up and understand that the ACT! program doesn't have a dialer. It stores phone numbers in the TAPI canacal form and passes the number to the Windows dialer. The dialer setup that you see in ACT! is actually pulled from Windows. The addon that you referred to uses the ACT! SDK to access the database. Because your problem is with the Windows dialer you would need to work with Microsoft for any fixes. Acain the ACT! program doesn't have any native dialer capabilities and hasn't had since ACT! 3. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Just wondering ... does the Windows dialer work without ACT!?

To test the Windows Dialer:
Open the Start menu and type "dialer" ... press enter
Try making a few calls.

The real issue is the way "standards" are applied in the software industry ... While TAPI is supposedly a standard, the Microsoft dialer supports a reduced version. But most phone vendors create extensions in their drivers to utilise additional functions. These change how they need to be accessed

Obviously HUD has it's own driver with it's own functionality differences from standard TAPI.

So the issue is that it would take a huge effort for ACT! (and blow out the R&D budget) to provide adequate support for every different flavour of phone product.

This is why BOTH ACT! and the phone companies let others create those links ... as you say, Fonality want to charge a large retainer. From ACT!'s view, there are commercially available addons, who's developers work at maintaining comparability with the customised versions of TAPI modified by every phone company.