Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Desperately need help in sharing database

Tuned Listener

Desperately need help in sharing database

REally hope someone can help. I have been an act user since 1990. I have 4 users currently running act6.0. We are in a non domain network, one computer running winxp is set up as file server.

Wanted to move to newer version, when purchased a few new dells 3 years ago, got version 9.0. Set up a test databse on 2 computers. Could never get a share going. had drives mapped, etc. however, was never able to see pad file on computer that had database! Spend hours with act tech support, they logged into my computers etc. Put project on hold.

Got 2 more licenses with 2 more dells 1.5 yrs ago, this time version 10. Couldn't get a database to open. See pad file, but get an error saying "database xyz cannot be accessed. Check network connections t verify database server is available. Firewall might need to be disabled to access database". Again left alone

Recently, wanted to get this project going as really need to get off act6. So set up 2 computers, on xp and one win7. Same deal, though this time I was able to see pad, file but got error above.

I map a drive letter on my client computer to \\server\computername\mydocs. I share this directory. I have created the database on the server computer in mydocs directory.   It created ACT directory, then sub act10for windows. Then a sub of databases. In this directory is the xyz.pad file and subdir of xyz-database. I can see these files on the client computer both in explorer and when I go database open. I open xyz.pad and get the above error. I have database open on the server, and the checkbox on database share is checked.

I am desperate. Any help is much appreciated!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Desperately need help in sharing database

Hello,

See if the solutions offered in KB 19640 help to resolve the issue. If the fileserver (host) is the Winows 7 machine, the make sure the Wndows Firewall is not disabled. Instead add firewall exceptions, per KB 19420.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I am trying to share a ver 11 installation.  So far, I can only get sharing to work if the Windows firewall on the host PC is turned off.  Not a good solution.  Clear;ly the firewall is causing the problem.  the setup works w/ the fireawall off, and stops working as soon as I turn it back on.  I suspect certain ports need to be opened in addition to ACT being being included on the list of Windows Firewall Exceptions.  Let me know if you hit upon a full solution.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello eneuf,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Yes, you will need to add firewall exceptions for ACT!, SQL, and the SQL ports. Please see KB 19420 for a list of firewall exceptions.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I tried post by Sage re: KB 19640.  It seems to have worked!  We are running Windows XP Pro on host and XP Home on client.

I had already followed ACT Help regarding distribution of .pad file, and we are running V11 on both machines.