Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Desperately Need Help Importing Contacts into Act! 2009 from Excel Spreadsheet

Desperately Need Help Importing Contacts into Act! 2009 from Excel Spreadsheet

I have an extremely large database that right now is an Excel spreadsheet. I've printed for myself the knowledge base topic on How To Import Contact Data From A Text Delimited File Into An Act! Database. But I still have questions:

1.  My file is 36,100 individual lines (each one is a separate and distinct Contact Record) in Excel. The file itself is *.xls. How do I convert it to what is needed to import from?

2.  Is this 36,100 lines too big to import all at once?  I've tried it already and the data got scrambled.  It looked accurate because the Company Names were in the Company Field, all the names were in the Contact field, and all the street addresses were in the Address field, et cetera, so I know it was mapped correctly.  But, the relationships between the companies and addresses got scrambled (i.e. the majority of companies and their associated contacts and/or addresses no longer matched my original Excel spreadsheet).  If 36,100 lines is too big, how do I do it in chunks?

3.  There is one column of data for which not necessarily every record has a value. This field I mapped to the User 1 field.  Are these empty fields in Excel throwing everything else off?

I'm desperate for help. We've tried this several times and each time the data gets scrambled.  Many thanks!!

Copper Contributor

Re: Desperately Need Help Importing Contacts into Act! 2009 from Excel Spreadsheet

Well, I'm no expert.... but:

1. click file --> Save as --> change the "save as type" field to "text (tab delimited)"

2. not sure if that is too big or not.  try in a test database first to find out... or you could just cut and paste every 10k lines into a new spreadsheet.

3. this should not throw everything else off.  Empty fields will remain empty.

cheers,

NWCenter IT

p.s. I'm not an ACT expert, this is just advice from my experience...