Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Designing products and services -

Copper Contributor

Designing products and services -

I would like to tell the story, of work I have done with a manufacturing company, and how it produced the most successful new product in their history.

The company had been doing a majority of it's business with governments and found their markets, as a result of changes in the world, getting smaller, so they wanted to build more commerical products.  We set up some questions in Act and used language to get ideas about what new products might look like.  After a year the engineering managers looked at the data, went to customers to confirm what the sales people had collected.  10 months later at the annual trade show for their industry the company rolled out their new product. To buy it a large PO or a check was necessary.  At the show the company sold 400% more than the largest new product they had ever introduced and they sold a years production within the next 30 days.  This is how a customer driven company and Act are compatible.  If you wanted to hear happy sales people - you should have been in the Act training seminar on the Monday after the trade show. "We built what our customers wanted."  Nobody objected to more training that day.

Last week a news story told of how this transformation had occured and how it was paying dividends 6 years later.
Copper Contributor

Re: Designing products and services -

What are you talking about ?

"We set up some questions in Act and used language to get ideas about what new products might look like.  After a year the engineering managers looked at the data, went to customers to confirm what the sales people had collected..."

Please explain - How did you setup questions in act?

Copper Contributor

Re: Designing products and services -

Dear Newatatc - There is an old saying - if you ask good questions you don't have to sell.  My post was about how a company asked questions of their customers, put into specific areas of Act and then others reviewed what the customers suggested, found what they could build and created a new product. The key to the story is that the database was built by sales people to solve sales problems and increase business.  Most database systems have been built as a function of accounting, counting sales calls, how much mail goes out - what will something cost.  Peter Drucker said, "The wrong people got control of the database - it should have started in sales." Since the product I am discussing cost over $200,000 and when the new product was rolled out - it sold a years production in 30 days, that shows the power of Act and having sales people control the database.

If you look for what is missing and track it in your database - then you sell more.   That is the secret of Act.