Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Design Layout fails to open

Design Layout fails to open

I am running Act 2010.  I have begun backing up on external hard drive.  I am wanting to change somethings on my Contact Layout as well as the company layout.  I cliced on Tools->Design Layout->contacts and then when the window opens with the layouts, i have clicked on both, but neither one will open.  I don't get an error message, the machine just pauses like it is working on something then nothing else happens.  Could it be because i had to restore my database not long ago?  I haven't tried the design layout since then, but everything else seems to be working.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Design Layout fails to open

I am not really sure of why you include the fact that you began backing up to an external drive....?  Are you saying that you are running the Back up tool from within ACT! and choosing to save the resulting zip file to the external drive?  If so, that should not have any direct bearing on editing a layout file...

So are you saying when you attempt to open the Layout editor from the menu, it never opens completely?

What happens if you open the demo database and attempt to edit the layout(s) in that database? 

Re: Design Layout fails to open

Sorry for not responding sooner.  But i have been away from the office.  When i came back to work this morning i went to tools and clicked on Design Layout and there it was!  But then, all the customizing i had done before had disappeared!  It wasClient Id's and other information vital to the customer management of this office!  Now what do I do?  Do I have to redo all the previous things i had added to the layout such as the fields i added for client and spouse id's and business ids?  If i redo the fields will I have to reenter all of that information?  It will be nearly impossibly to do that with any degree of accuracy.