Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleting multiple companies and associated contacts

PFP

Deleting multiple companies and associated contacts

Hi, I am using ACT! 2013; we purchased commerecial data which was installed in ACT! however I now wish to remove some of the compaines AND associated contacts.  I have deleted a large number of companies not realising that the contacts have been left behind; I now have a large number of contacts who are not linked to any companies in the database; how do I delete these.

Moving forward, how can I delete companies AND associated contacts.

It is not practical do do these individually

Many thanks

Julie Edmondson

Bronze Contributor

Re: Deleting multiple companies and associated contacts

Good morning Julie.

Before doing anything, Always make a backup before you do anything of this scale.

In the detailed contact view, do a look up of the company name, which should still be in the contact's record, but not linked.

You will be given a list.  Then delete the entire list.

This will require that yoiu look up every company from the contact's view.  Since you stated you want to remove some of the companies and associated contacts, I am assuming that there is no common element in a field or a created field that would identify just the contacts you want to remove.  

When I run into a similar challenge, I first create a new field - generally a yes/no field - and then go through my db as time permits.  If you schedule 5 to 10 minutes a day, you will be surprised how many you will be able to identify, even if you have a large db.  

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
PFP

Thanks for this, the only potential common theme is the company type (ie School; Hospital etc); can that be used at all to speed things up, there are a very large number of companies/contacts that need to be deleted.

Regards

Bronze Contributor

If you were to look up all hospitals, will that find what you are looking for or would there be some that are not to be deleted?

Another way is to search on the creatioin date if they were all imported at the same time.  

I would also become familiar with the advanced search feature.  

Do a lookup of hospitals ....  I assume you are using the ID/Status field for that designation.  Visually inspect the list that displays and see if you can find common characteristics of the records you want to delete.  To use the create date, you will need to add that to the customize columns when the records are displayed on the screen.

Hope that helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
PFP

Thanks John