Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleting Multiple Contacts without Purchasing Add-On

Deleting Multiple Contacts without Purchasing Add-On

I am new to ACT and after importing our contacts into the database I discovered we had a large number of duplicate contacts. It was very easy to delete or merge duplicates in our previous database but not so easy in ACT. I'd like to get more familar with the product before purchasing any add-ons. I'm hoping the features we have come to expect from our database won't be required additional purchases with ACT.

My question is this: Can I export my duplicate contacts into an Excel spread sheet, delete them in ACT, clean up the duplicates in Excel then import them again into ACT? Would this work as a resonable work around for cleaning up the duplications? If so, do you have any advice on how to go about this?

Also, do you have any tips on lessening the chances of creating more duplicates in the future? Seeing as it's so difficult to delete them in ACT we need to make sure we have a system in place to prevent them as much as possible.

Thank you in advance for any answers you provide.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Deleting Multiple Contacts without Purchasing Add-On

[ Edited ]

Hello Jenn_StL,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. If the duplicates were the result of an import, it may be easier to look them up and delete them en masse. You can lookup by the following fields:

Is Imported = True

Import Date = (date you imported them in).

You can do this using an Advanced Query (Lookup > Advanced > Advanced Query). Hopefully this should capture most if not all the duplicates.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greig,

Thanks for the reply. The duplicates were the result of multiple imports. Some contacts appeared in multiple spreadsheets and lists causing them to show up numerous times once imported into ACT. Filtering by import date won't work in this case. Do you have any other suggestions?

Jenn

Bronze Contributor

Hello Jenn, and accept my welcome to the community as well.

Since you state you are new to ACT, can it be assumed that you have very little history?  If that is the case, then use the duplicate checker under tools.  You can select the fields on which a contact should be considered a duplicate. 

If you don't have any historical data entered, then you can sort the list as you wish, and then delete every other one.  In the list view, you have the option to "look up selected".  You would click on the duplicates and then select look up selected.  Then highlight all and delete.

If you have data entered, then the process becomes a little more manual.

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013