Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleting Duplicate Contacts

Deleting Duplicate Contacts

Recently, I purchased "CompanionLink Synchronize" to synk ACT w/ Blackberry. I now have a boatlaod of duplicate contacts in ACT as I had already had my contacts in the phone. How can I delete these duplicates w/o doing each one individually. Naturally I want to delete the duplicate with the least amount of info as well. Any ideas?  I'm new to all this forum stuff.  Thanks for any assistance!
Copper Contributor

Re: Deleting Duplicate Contacts

It can get pretty messy with the BB syncs.

If you want to delete the contacts that were created by the sync, you could create a lookup of all the contacts created the day you did the first synchronization. You might have to do some eye-balling to remove the contacts that were created that day separate from the sync.

Once you have a lookup of just the contacts created by your BB sync. Go to the menu Contacts-->Delete Contact and choose to delete the entire lookup. That'll get rid of them.

You might have a deeper underlying problem though. The safest thing is to synchronize one-way. ACT-->BB. This ensures that duplicates won't creep back into ACT. But the downside is you can't make changes on the BB that get pushed back to ACT. If you really want to sync two-way, it's a best practice to purge and reload one of the sources, usually the BB, when starting the sync relationship. You will lose data, but perhaps a cost worth not having to dedup.

If you want to pick and choose which of the duplicates to keep and which to remove, that is a problem that requires more. Take a look at:
or
Ben Leong
Certified ACT! Consultant
www.accentgold.com
Copper Contributor

On initial syncs the best practice for users that have the same data on the PDA as well as in the database is to Purge and Reload with the initial sync. One item to note is that if unique data exists on the PDA that has not been entered in the database on the PC, we suggest users manually enter this into the PC prior to the Purge and Reload. With regards to the duplications that are in your database currently, Ben is correct on the easiest way of cleaning up those duplicates. If you notice any further duplication this can be a sign of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager trying to sync with another source. The best thing to do in this situation would be to contact our Tech Support at 503.243.5200
Platinum Elite Contributor

This is why I recommend Handheld Contact to sync to Blackberry or windows mobile smart phones - it doesn't have the issue with dupes being created if Windows doesn't correctly detect the device.

You can get a 14-day trial from the link above.

To remove the dupes, you might also try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/479p9a