Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleted Contacts, restoring from backup, but it just keeps opening the current backup.

Deleted Contacts, restoring from backup, but it just keeps opening the current backup.

So we had some contacts get deleted on accident. 

I restored a backup to the desktop, not an Act backup but a program I use for backups. I changed the name of the file but it still just opened the same database (the current database) with the same amount of contacts. Please advise, how do I restore these deleted contacts?

Thanks in advance!

Skye

Administrator

Re: Deleted Contacts, restoring from backup, but it just keeps opening the current backup.

Hi Skye,

The files to copy from the general backup would be the .ADF, .ALF and the database files folder. Ensure Act is closed before doing this, then when the copy is complete, double-click the .ADF file from the backup to open the database in Act!.

If this opens the database in it's current state (post contact deletion), then it would appear your backup was taken after the deletion took place.
Do you have any other, earlier backups?

I have seen some cases where the SQL has not allowed the 3rd party backup software to take a complete backup of the database file as it was running and the file was in use by SQL at the time.
I would strongly suggest using the backup feature within Act! in future. You can schedule these to occur regularly, and they will ense the correct access is given to all the needed files.

Re: Deleted Contacts, restoring from backup, but it just keeps opening the current backup.

So I was able to see all my missing contacts. I had to add the database via the actdiag. Its open now, I see all my missing information. Now I just need to get the old contacts into my current database. What is the best way to do that? 

Thanks for the reply!

Skye

Platinum Elite Contributor

Create a Lookup of them and Export to the live one ... Back an Act! backup, first and then, when you're done, use the Act! Scheduler to regularly make Act! backups