Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Delete multiple Contacts using a custom field - Results are incorrect

Copper Contributor

Delete multiple Contacts using a custom field - Results are incorrect

Hi There,

I'm trying to clear out over 30,000 records from ACT Version 10, leaving only about 300 records. 

We have a number of custom fields, one of them being a simple tick box for 'Live Company'. Staff have gone through their live records and ticked the relevant ones. These are the ones to keep.

I have run a Lookup / Other Fields and selected 'Live Company' - I then set criteria to False and click OK. This brings up 118 records - I know that this should show at least 30,000 records so am baffled. If I run the lookup with True it brings up the correct results - However, I need the false option to be able to delete the required data.

Baffled!

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Delete multiple Contacts using a custom field - Results are incorrect

Hello djcopa,
I would suggest that instead of deleting 30,000 records (which will be time consuming), that you create an empty copy of your database (File > Save Copy As > Create empty copy...), then export the 300 good contacts to that copy. You can look them up, then File/Export and choose to export current lookup.

However, if you want to pursue deleting these contacts, then simple way may be:
- Lookup all contacts
- Add the "Live Company" column to your contact list view
- Sort by that field...all contacts with the Live Company box checked should be grouped together
- Highlight the group of contacts that have that box checked
- Go to toolbar and select Omit From Lookup...unchecked contacts will remain

I would only attempt to delete maybe 200 contacts at a time. When done, be sure to run database maintenance (Tools > Database Maintenance > Check & Repair). Run both options and do this twice in a row.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Greg - I was looking at the empty database option, but was a little nervous.

Both your suggestions look sensible - Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try the 'sort' option first but if, as you say, it starts to take an age will go for the export option.

Cheers Smiley Happy

I just got ACT Pro 2012.  upon first sync with phone my contact which are around 5,000 went to 15,000+.  There are a bunch of duplicates.  Some are duped 5x others 2x.  I have been going through and deleting the duplicates.  I have been doing in blocks of 500 but now I just did one with 2,000 in a block and my computer has been deleting records for 30 minutes.  Any way to cut down the time?  Should I just tag all of the duplicates then delete and let the computer figure out?

Sambuca ... you really should post to a new thread.

What phone are you syncing to? What method are you syncing with?

Most of the phone syncs can produce duplicates except Handheld Contact
http://bit.ly/actmobile