Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Define Field - says Field already exists after I deleted

Copper Contributor

Define Field - says Field already exists after I deleted

I created a new field in Define Fields but mistakenly created it for Companies and not for Contacts. So i deleted it from Companies and form the layout for Companies. When i try to create the new field for Contacts it says 'Field name already in use, try a different name.' Why is it doing this? I checked all the categories and this field does not exist anywhere and it will not let me use the name.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Define Field - says Field already exists after I deleted

There are a number of system and reserved field names that ACT use to make the database work. What is the field name you are trying to create. If it is say product just call it products and all will be OK.

Copper Contributor

field is called 'Contact Type' and is not one of the system fields. I already created it successfully but on the Companies form. I can change the name but really would like to know why it won't let me use it after I created and deleted it once

Bronze Elite Contributor

Contact Type is an internal system field that ACT uses in the related contact tables. It let the system know if the contact is also a user.

Platinum Elite Contributor

That field is a system field for the contact table but not for the company table so you would be able to create the field for the company table but not for the contact table.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129