Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Define Field Error Cant ADD New field PRC_CHANGE_TRACKING_INITIALIZE failed Cannot Write to log file

Define Field Error Cant ADD New field PRC_CHANGE_TRACKING_INITIALIZE failed Cannot Write to log file

[ Edited ]

CThe Error below happen when I try to add a new field to the database.  I am unable to save the new field.   

MR NEW FIELD.JPG

This seem to be an error with my database the demo act database I can add fields to and save them.  So I believe my issue is the database dont see any help in the forums on this specifice message to fix this. 

ACT ERROR.JPG

Think we might have an issue with microsoft Server 2008  

Any help on where to start what I have tried 

1. repairing/reindexing database 

2. actdiag tried all the database tools 

3. update the sql server 2008 

EP

Copper Contributor

Re: Define Field Error Cant ADD New field PRC_CHANGE_TRACKING_INITIALIZE failed Cannot Write to log file

A client of mine has just reported the same error. They use Act! v16.  I can't find any posts re this in the knowledgebase yet. Hopefully someone here can help.

Re: Define Field Error Cant ADD New field PRC_CHANGE_TRACKING_INITIALIZE failed Cannot Write to log file

Yes it's strange it seems to be database specific since I can add new fields in the demo database. The error seems to be related to sql server since the error is posted on the Microsoft forums but it is puzzling that I can enter new fields in another database.

Also installed act on another machine and imported the database to that machine and had the same issue which leads me to believe it may be an issue with the database. Still no fix yet. I am also running v16 also.
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the update. I had suggested to my client that they test in the demo company & a copy of the database, so will now advise them to not bother with that. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into a syscomittab type error.  I emailed support sso hopefully someone is having a look at it.

I tried to repair with that tool no luck got an error. Any news let me know.
Silver Super Contributor

Try detaching and reattaching the database.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Gave that a whirl detached the database and reattached it not luck. did not delete any of the files. 

Followed these steps.  

Detached:

Answer ID 14620 http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14620/~/how-to-detach-your-sage-act!-database-from-t...

Attached: 

Answer ID 27044  http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27044

Platinum Elite Contributor

The original error you reported indicates you may have a corrupted log (ALF) file. This is worth a try. Detach the data base and make backup copies of the ADF and ALF files. Delete the ALF file and use ACTdiag to attach the database using the missing log file option. Wish you luck.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy Thanks for the option. 

Gave that a try 

1. detached database

2. saved .alf and .adf files

3. deleted .alf file of the database

4. used the reattached option using missing file log option

5. reopened the database

6. tried to add new filed

7. got same error as before.  

Any others to maybe try next?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not good. Because you don't have the problem with the demo database it soundfs like the ADF file is corrupted. About the only option is database repair.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129