Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Defect in Outlook 2007 Integration, Memory leak

Defect in Outlook 2007 Integration, Memory leak

I've found a re-producable error in the Outlook Addon with ACT 11.

Using 11.0.367 Assemblies..  with Outlook 2007 (12.0.6316.5000) SP1

If I have a large quantity of email messages in my Junk Email folder or my Deleted Items folder, and i Click on that folder, hit <Cntrl-A> to select them all, my Outlook.exe memory footprint begins to grow exponentially...

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Outlook

2. Have a large quantity of emails in a folder...

3. Outlook's reports a memory size of 60,260 in Windows Task Manager

4. Goto Junk email folder (contains 2104 emails)

5. Hit <Cntrl-A> to select all emails

6. Outlook.exe memory size continuously grows to 1,348,000 K, Outlook reports (Not Responding) while memory grows.

7. Outlook.exe memory usage now drops to 254,000 K, then immediately starts to grow again to 1,475,000 K, Outlook reports (Not Responding) while memory grows.

8. This step 7 repeats itself indefinitely until Outlook runs out of memory.

9. An ACT! message box is displayed with nothing in it and a transparent background.

10. Close this message box. Outlook memory size now stays at 1,466,880K

11. Hit <Cntrl-A> again to select the emails, same thing occurs..

There only way to clear my Junk email folder is to right click the folder and choose "Empty JUnk Email Folder"

This same behavior occurs in any folder when i hit <Cntrl -A> to select all the emails in the folder.

Re: Defect in Outlook 2007 Integration, Memory leak

Does it only happen on those two folders?  Are you doing this from Outlook or ACT! Email?

I tested on a folder that has 2804 emails and couldn't reproduce the issue.

Copper Elite Contributor

MCSDSoftware,

Outlook 2007 (12.0.6316.5000) SP1, Act! 2009 (11.0.0.367), Windows Vista Business (6.0.6001) SP1

Using your information, I peformed the same action on my Inbox with 1297 messages.  I was able to reproduce your results.  I went from 100K to an infinitely growing number at 100% CPU usage and the Outlook screen went translucent with Not Responding.  I finally had to End Task to stop it.  I did this in Outlook only and Act! was NOT open.  Now the question is: Is it a Microsoft problem or did Act! cause it since their linked?

MrWright

Well it doesn't do this without the ACT! integration installed....  And I get an exception message box from ACT with no message if I try to delete all the messages selected.  Yes, ACT! is not running when I did this...

Does this in any folder when I hit Cntrl-A to select a large number of messages.  ACT! is not open..

Running on a Quad-Core with 4 GB of RAM and a 10,000 RPM Hard Drive..  It's not related to my machine, its definately the ACT! Outlook plugin causing this problem.

This time get an ACT! dialog "Out of memory or resources"
Nickel Elite Contributor

When you get the error message, open up Windows Task Manager / Performance.  Check to see what the Handles show.  You may be exploiting the file handle leak in .NET 2.0.

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew McFadden

OK, before repro-ing the error:

Outlook.exe mem size 119,784

Handles:32538

Go into my inbox, contains 1018 items <Cntrl-A> (ACT! is not open), same behavior if ACT! is open however...

Outlook.exe grows to 1,385,868 K, Handles 31815, it then drops back down and then starts growing again.. this time staying at the max memory size..

This seems quite easy to re-produce...

Screenshot