Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Default column sort order and customisation

Default column sort order and customisation

I found one message about sort order and customisation not being retained, but that was for ACT 9.  I have ACT 10 and it still seems to be an issue.  Does anyone know different?

The issue is that, wherever there is a choice of column sorting order, you can change this and select columns to display but that choice is not saved.  So when you re-open ACT you have to start again.  What a waste of time having the choice in the first place.  Virtually every one of the default choices does not suit my requirements, but it is a major effort to set up every time I open the product - which in itself usually takes several attempts. 

Copper Contributor

Re: Default column sort order and customisation

I have the same issue.
Bronze Contributor

Likewise, I have posted on this subject before too.  I think that if we all post a request to the new feature site that maybe this could be given priority by Sage. 

Go to http://www.act.com/community/feature/ 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Contributor

Same here.  This has been an issue since ACT! 2009.  It's a real pain when you have spent the time to customize what you want to see, and then it defaults back to ACT!'s original settings.
Best Regards,

Chuck
Platinum Super Contributor

If you have a Vista or Windows7 operating system, be sure and run the Act! program as Administrator.  The additional authority allows Act! to update the Preference files which contain the column settings. 

To set Act! to run as administrator: close Act! > right click on the Act! icon > select Properties > select Compatibility tab > put check in box for 'Always Run As Administrator' (bottom of tab) > click Ok to close Properties window.  Now open Act! using normal method.

This does not apply if you are running an XP operating system.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I took your advice but the task still list does not retain the "priority" column selection.
Platinum Super Contributor

Are you referring to the Task List being sorted by the Priority column?

If that is the issue, it won't save that setting.  It is designed to save the columns/fields that are selected to be displayed in the list, but will always default back to being sorted by Date. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Contributor

I noticed the same. We sort our Task List by the field "Associate With" and every time we restart ACT! it's back to being sorted by Date. That is a little nuisance and seems like an easy fix.

Yes, ACT! should remember sort preferences and not go back to the default every time ACT! is opened.  Is it possible to change the default to what WE want it to be?

Copper Contributor

This is definitely a nuisance and shortcoming.

I have been using a program called Macro Express.  Besides having the ability now to start up Act exactly the way I like it (including the proper Windows, calendar view and column sort), I also have a hotkey that that lets me instantly do a "lookup" from any program that I am currently using without having to click to Act first.

I also now have hotkeys that will automatically dial contacts phone numbers and have the ability to use voice commands to accomplish these and other tasks if I wish. 

(I do not work for, have any interest or relationship with Macro Express)